Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 overheating, at normal operating temp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 PM
jawnsense
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 overheating, at normal operating temp?

I recently swapped a 2.5 from an '86 944 into my '89 a few weeks ago due to a timing belt failure. I struggled a bit with the filling/bleeding of the coolant after everything else was done, as i couldnt seem to get the car to take as much coolant as i read its supposed to. I did get it to stream coolant out of the bleeder with the front end elevated however, and it ran absolutely fine for a week or two. Now, the car routinely smells hot, has even started steaming, and the temp warning light has been coming on after even 5-10 minutes of very gentle driving. fans have been coming on as they should and working fine, and the temp gauge, which has always worked well, hovers right around the lower mark, never climbing above the middle one one or towards the hot line. The car has shot some coolant out of the overflow hose once or twice as i believe there is a little more than the max amount in the reservoir. I'm at a loss as to why the light is coming on without the gauge showing that its hot. especially with the fans running and ample airflow to the rad, at low engine rpms. It almost seems like there is a circulation issue, im not quite sure. I tested the thermostat as well and it functions as it should. I dont know where to start trouble shooting this issue, i'd really appreciate some expert insight from you guys! Thanks in advance
Old 10-16-2012, 03:44 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to have heater on full when you bleed the coolant other wise you will still have air in the system. I forgot and had same issue but after re-bleeding with heater on, all is now fine with my car.
hope it helps
peace
Cyberpunky

Quick Reply: 944 overheating, at normal operating temp?