Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frozen oil pump drive sleeve.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:10 PM
flightline
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen oil pump drive sleeve.

So I'm in the middle of a major maintenance project, and I've encountered another roadblock. I'm doing the crank seal (front main seal), and where it seems everyone else's oil pump drive gear /sleeve practically falls out after removing the washer and o-ring, mine appears to be welded to the crank. I can't budge it, even with some good-size channel-lock pliers on there. The irony is that it was probably in fine condition, but I'd guess that it's not anymore with these gouge marks in it from the pliers.

So I guess now I have to remove the oil pump? How practical is this to do without removing the oil pan completely? Won't dropping the pan slightly cause leaks without a new gasket/sealant? Any bright ideas to avoid this nightmare?

And if I decide to do it the 'right way' I need to drop the cross-member, so I need to support the engine. Anyone have pics/drawings of home-built tools for this? While I'm in there I may as well do the rod bearings. And since the crossover pipe has to come out, I guess I should go ahead and take the turbo out and do the AOS seals. And then. . . I'm never getting this thing back on the road am I?
Old 09-30-2012, 03:23 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

pry it out using a flat head screw driver, get the seal out of your way. i get them out everytime.. use penetrating spray..
Old 09-30-2012, 03:43 PM
flightline
Instructor

It's been soaking for about 2 hours in PB blaster. I've used a screwdriver but it already damaged the tip and put a slight mark on the pump housing bore edge, even with the shaft of the screwdriver protected with tape and card. The only edge (I guess it's where the gear teeth are machined in) is so deep in there that the screwdriver has to be at a crazy angle and most of the force is radial.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 PM
flightline
Instructor

Anyone have any advice before I embark on removing the oil pan/ pump etc? I gather it's a job requiring quite a commitment, but I guess it's really my only option to get everything right. Guess I'll go ahead and order those rod bearings . . .
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having a hard time visualising the issue you are having.

Photos would be very helpful in this instance.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:54 PM
flightline
Instructor

Ask and ye shall receive. Key is out, seal has been removed, but the sleeve is still solid on the shaft. It's pretty tricky getting a good image in low light, but I think you can tell what's going on. All the write-ups imply that it will come out with the seal or with just finger pressure. I've found a couple posts on here where people have had the same issue, but no resolution to it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah, I now know what you're referring to.
Unfortunately, I haven't had the same issue. Mine was a touch sticky, but came out with a bit of penetrating fluid and a good tug from a set of pliers.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 PM
jeffrsmith
Instructor

Mine was also "sticky" couldn't pry it out - sprayed it down well with Kroil left it overnight, then tapped on it slightly with a small hammer and drift, went all the way around it - sprayed more Kroil then grabbed it with vice grips. Had to tap it, put vice grips on it and put a screw driver under the vice grips to pry it, kept spraying with Kroil and alternating - tap it in, pry with vice grips/screw driver, took a while but it finally came off.

Good luck
Old 10-01-2012, 03:43 AM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

it will come out. otherwise, you can partially lower the crossmember enough to tackle the oil pump, but at that point, i wouldnt want to re use the oil pan gasket, ... and at that point, i wouldnt want to use the same old rod bearings, rod nuts, and oil pickup tube seal..... there is alot of while your in there stuff.. so .. are you prepared for all that? plus not to mention rebuilding and resealing and reinstalling the oil pump .. just be patient. order a new sleeve anyhow.. and it will pay off. just do it.. like nike says..
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Try some heat on the sleeve
Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 AM
ZRDeuce
Intermediate

+1 to what JeffrSmith said. Mine too was stuck. Took a week of spraying it with Liquid Wrench and then tapping it. Finally it came loose.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X100 Do what Jeffrsmith said to do and use KROIL. Remember "Patience is a Virtue", which most of us do not have in abundance.

Cheers,
Larry

Quick Reply: Frozen oil pump drive sleeve.