Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam's '84 Porsche 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:12 PM
CVDH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam's '84 Porsche 944

Of course it always starts in childhood but lately I've been itching for a Porsche of my own. It all started with a clean 931 on Craigslist...when that deal fell through, I started looking at Boxsters and after driving a few I decided that those weren't for me, despite that familiar, delightful flat-6 whine. Throughout the ordeal, a dealership owned by a friend had been sitting on a restored '84 944. On a whim, I decided to test drive it on some backroads near my home, and I fell in love. I negotiated a price and placed a deposit on the car the next day.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. It looks like it's in fantastic condition.
Hopefully, as a dealership car you've got a full service history and shouldn't have any nasty surprises.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:26 PM
CVDH
Racer

Originally Posted by Fara
Congrats on the purchase. It looks like it's in fantastic condition.
Hopefully, as a dealership car you've got a full service history and shouldn't have any nasty surprises.
No service history and the mileage is non-actual. However, I am getting the car for a rather good price, considering all of the attention this car's recieved recently...fresh paint, new leather, all new parts under the hood...I still plan on doing the timing belt in the spring, mind you. I understand it's a Porsche, and as a result will be costly to own, but with all of the shiny stuff taken care of it'll leave me with more money to take care of maintenance.

Another picture:
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

you look pretty happy with the purchase.

I'd strongly suggest replacing the belts immediately. If you really don't want to do that, remove the top belt cover and at least visually/hand inspect them. Any signs of cracking and I would park it till the belts get done.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:38 PM
CVDH
Racer

you look pretty happy with the purchase.

I'd strongly suggest replacing the belts immediately. If you really don't want to do that, remove the top belt cover and at least visually/hand inspect them. Any signs of cracking and I would park it till the belts get done.
Sounds good...I was actually planning on asking how to check the belts without tearing into it too much! Either way, I only plan on taking it to Rallye Porsche Mariemont and then storing it in the garage until spring. Starting to get cold here...

It's funny, I never planned on becoming a 944 owner, but this is the nicest example of the breed I've ever seen.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Outlay for belts is not that much. If you want to do it yourself, apart from standard garage tools, I'd strongly suggest the Arnnworx tool kit and a Timing belt kit from ECS

Last edited by Fara; 09-29-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: corrected the link to refer to the Arnnwerx maxi kit
Old 09-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Congrats and looks good!
Old 09-29-2012, 03:57 PM
CVDH
Racer

Outlay for belts is not that much. If you want to do it yourself, apart from standard garage tools, I'd strongly suggest the Arnnworx tool kit and a Timing belt kit from ECS
Yeah, there's a guy on here selling the tool kit...and Turb-OH Brad suggested the ECS belt kit to me as well! It's good to see multiple users suggesting the same thing. Instills lots of confidence.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

Congrats nice early car you got yourself.This place will be your best friend from now on when it come to maintenance (once on the main site enter Garage Shop Manual) www.clarks-garage.comBtw if your not sure of the belts ages & mileage do them ASP do not take any chance with them since you migth damage the head severly if they break.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:41 AM
CVDH
Racer

Just got this in the mail yesterday
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cam's '84 Porsche 944