Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water temp gauge through the roof, warning light on. what damage could have i done?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water temp gauge through the roof, warning light on. what damage could have i done?

last night i went to a car meet and somehow (i have no idea how) the hose blew a hole in itself and leaked on the way there and i noticed my water temp had risen higher then usual, the aftermarket temp gauge said ~230 F.

It was the hose that comes from the metal pipe from the headers into the firewall i think.

on the way home i stopped at a servo and topped up my water and drove it to my shop, on the way the warning light went on, my temp gauge sat at ~230 then it dropped to 150 but the warning light was still on. then my oil pressure started dropping, to around 3bar while driving, major loss of power. worst of all it was pissing down rain so i couldnt stop the car and get out (because i bought a 10L can of water from the servo incase) to full up.

That was probably a 10 min drive with the light on.. i got to the shop and shut the car off. opened the bonnet (hood) and just smelt the burnt oil. i pored some warm water back into the engine to help cool it down.

What damage have i done? i didn't see any oil leaking on the floor. no different noises except the lifters seemed slightly louder. suspecting from the cooked oil.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:55 AM
Jamesr6967
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do a compression test next and see if you have done some serious damage. Change the oil first tho and send out a sample for analysis as well.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Is there any coolant left in the system? It sounds like a hose burst, then the engine was run too hot, baking the oil. No telling until you get an oil change done, replace the affected coolant hose and refill. While that may fix the cooling issue, I just wouldn't plan on those two items fixing it- it may just be the start of the troubleshooting. It might be interesting to know exactly how much oil comes out. Let us know.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:40 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamesr6967
I would do a compression test next and see if you have done some serious damage. Change the oil first tho and send out a sample for analysis as well.
I'll do that. not sure how to go about testing the oil? but will be replacing the oil on the weekend.

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Is there any coolant left in the system? It sounds like a hose burst, then the engine was run too hot, baking the oil. No telling until you get an oil change done, replace the affected coolant hose and refill. While that may fix the cooling issue, I just wouldn't plan on those two items fixing it- it may just be the start of the troubleshooting. It might be interesting to know exactly how much oil comes out. Let us know.
when i arrived, there was probably something left but now there's none left just water.

the only reason i think it over headed was because the water was slowly leaking out of there, and possibly creating air pockets around the cooling system and having no water at the top end creating more heat and pressure.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 AM
Jamesr6967
Instructor

Google engine oil analysis for your area. There should be a lab that can do it. You'll need to take an ounce or two of your old engine oil and put it into a container of some sort. We have labs around here that do it and supply the container for the sample.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Mate that sucks. I hope the damage isn't too bad.
Let me know if there is anything I can do. Can get OEM stuff through work for you if needed
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

i doubt it's that bad. im thinking when i drain the oil, i can examine it to see if theres any metal flakes in it (i doubt it)
As far as i know, all i'll be replacing is the oil filter and cap and rotor as that's finished. So if you could price me up on them 3 parts i'd appreciate that, if you could just sms me prices as i probably wont be able to hear you as i dropped my phone in a 20L bucket of house paint and well the speaker doesn't work well.

i'll be calling "Nine Spares" to see what they can do as they supply parts also as i bought belts from them "contitech belts"

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Got Siri to remind me tomoz
Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Got Siri to remind me tomoz
haha! i'm waiting for my iPhone5 to get delivered to finally use siri
Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 PM
44cupmaster
Track Day

blown head gasket and worped the cylinder head . if you ran it long enough you could have worped the block as well . what caused it to over heat ???
Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 44cupmaster
blown head gasket and worped the cylinder head . if you ran it long enough you could have worped the block as well . what caused it to over heat ???
This is what i think caused it:
The hose that comes out of the firewall (i think it goes in the wall) to the pipe that goes over the headers had a small hole in it and it would leak a little. I thought i fixed it by cutting the end of the hose of and re clamping it. what must of happend is the water still drained out but at a much quicker rate and the loss of water/coolant caused the block to over heat. because obviously when the water is up to temp there is water pressure and that caused the water to just jet out of the hole. it went all over the exhaust manifold but not worried about that because i can simply repair so make a new one.

i haven't noticed anything inusual for the headgasket blowing such as the water bubbling, collant/oil mixture or just a crap idle.

if i've warped the block, i know what im doing then "Cough 16v cough 3L cough cough"
Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

car stumbles when i first turn it on... then it idles fine. only does it on the first time. if i turn it off and turn it on it's normal. it did it twice, morning when i moved it and after noon when i moved it again.
no water in the sump, no oil in the coolant..
oil is black..

will do compression test later tonight
Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
if i've warped the block, i know what im doing then "Cough 16v cough 3L cough cough"
If you do end up considering this, have a chat to the guys over at Mr Brakes in Ballarat. They enter a Targa car that I believe has the same layout.

Quick Reply: Water temp gauge through the roof, warning light on. what damage could have i done?