Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel return line... question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default fuel return line... question

Does anyone have pictures or a diagram of the fuel return line just after the hard lines but before it goes into the tank? I'm not sure how the hose is routed and if I need to drop the tank to get to the lines to check their condition. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

It is possible to route it without dropping the tank. I have done it and you can just loosen the tank a bit then pull the old one out. Once the old one is out you should be able to slide the new line up but it will be a bit difficult. I think I put a wire or coat hanger on one end of my line and fed that through first so I could grab a hold of it once it was through and pull the rest up.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No pics but pretty good chatter in this thread...Bruce
Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link Bruce.

1. I gather from it (and Clark's Garage) that I can access the top of the gas tank from the fuel sender cover located in the rear hatch under the carpet, correct?

2. I can disconnect the hose from this opening then strategically route it downwards toward the hard line connection, correct?

The above seems easy enough to do but the thread makes it sound a whole lot more difficult. Am I wrong in my points above?

Sirlapsalot, I assume you lowered the tank to gain more space to get the hose up correct? Did you pull the hanger and hose up through the fuel sender cover?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by veleno
Thanks for the link Bruce.

1. I gather from it (and Clark's Garage) that I can access the top of the gas tank from the fuel sender cover located in the rear hatch under the carpet, correct?

2. I can disconnect the hose from this opening then strategically route it downwards toward the hard line connection, correct?

The above seems easy enough to do but the thread makes it sound a whole lot more difficult. Am I wrong in my points above?

Sirlapsalot, I assume you lowered the tank to gain more space to get the hose up correct? Did you pull the hanger and hose up through the fuel sender cover?

Thanks for the help guys!
1. Yep you can access the top of the tank from the cover. You will see the sending unit and two lines.

2. Yes, you can disconnect the line by removing the hose clamp and pulling it out the bottom.

It is easy enough you are correct on your points. It is a little tight in there getting the hose clamp off and maneuvering the line but its not difficult.

Yes I lowered the tank a bit just by loosening the tie downs. There isn't much of anywhere for the tank to go and I don't remember how much it actually dropped down and if it made a difference I just remember doing it at the time thinking it would probably make routing the line a bit easier if I could get even just a 1/4 in more room. I pulled the hanger (I think I actually used some type of wire I had not a hanger) up through the top. But I think someone posted in that other link a slightly better way to do it. Attach a string or rope to the end of the old line once you disconnect it from the sender then pull it out the bottom. Then you will have the string already routed where the line needs to go and you can attach it to the sender unit end of the new line and pull it up through the top.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:57 PM
turkis_tii
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I put a cord through the old one before I removed it. I then taped the end of the rope to the end of the new hose to pull it through. As I hadn't dropped the gas tank, I had to pull the steel fitting sideways to get past the body.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turkis_tii
I put a cord through the old one before I removed it. I then taped the end of the rope to the end of the new hose to pull it through. As I hadn't dropped the gas tank, I had to pull the steel fitting sideways to get past the body.
I thought the hose was all flexible from the top of the tank to the fittings at the hard line? Am I mistaken?

Quick Reply: fuel return line... question