Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossroads. Buy roller or continue building

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM
bp944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossroads. Buy roller or continue building

My car is turn out to be a bit of a pain. My hope was to eventually turn my 1987 944 into a weekend track car and a very uncomfortable DD with a ls2 V8. My question is whether or not my current car is the right choice to continue building. I have replaced a head gasket (just to get the 4 cylinder running again), all the wheels (warped wheels and tire rot), shifter linkage, new battery, shifter lever, and am now I am half way through replacing the wheel bearings (just need to get the CV joints cleaned and back on). The car also need a new brake system badly, suspensions is not track worthy, and I'm hoping that nothing else goes out. The car has 160,000 miles and must have been sitting for a good 2 years before I got to it. The car has in total cost me $2,500.

Before I start getting into the real track parts and really dumping money into the car, I would really like to know if it would be more monetarily smart to buy a rolling track chassis. It seems like they show up quite often and already have suspension, brakes, bushings, fiberglass panels, roll cage etc. That being said, I do want the car to be somewhat good looking, not a track car with mismatched body panels and a bumper will holes in it.

My next upgrade will be brakes so if I plan on selling it, I will rebuild my old brakes. If I decide to keep going with it, I will go for xshops 330mm cayenne brakes. It will be a little tricky to sell since it'll be in working condition and will look half decent but I live in North Dakota. So who knows what people here will pay for this car. What would this normally price at?

Thoughts?

Last edited by bp944; 09-04-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Crossroads. Buy roller or continue building