Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The reliability challenge question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by xschop
Nikasil has a short heat cycle life compared to regular alloy casting. Watch the bolt threads in the block and pay close attention to torque values.

Where is there nikasil on a 944? I assume you mean Alusil?
Old 08-23-2012, 04:04 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, Alusil which is even more brittle at a very high Conc. of Si crystal in the matrix.

I guess you can't count the Chinese water pumps that have their props spin off the shaft and cause block damage.

But you can count the rear control arm nuts that are spot-welded on the iside body that are an engineering nightmare to fix.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:27 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default getting old fast......

these cars all fall somewhere in between semi-exotic ****boxes and decent cars....

the cars are also somewhat fun and sporty.... and the turbos and 968s come with a bit of top end.

thankfully, the potential of driving these as complete and reliable cars is out there.

i wish i had originally purchased my car without an engine.

also wondering how to get this car to Eric's shop without replacing the clutch....

maybe drive her all the way to Tejas with just the use of third and forth gear ?
Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Shawn while you are here - I saw one of your posts about the Cayenne - you know the one - did you ever get a Cayenne??
Hmm... I posted lots of stuff about Cayennes, and I did, indeed, end up with one. I picked up a well-loved 2005 V6 in February of '11. Lapis Blue with gray leather, 82k on the clock, it's well over 100k now. An absolutely brilliant vehicle. It's our go-to vehicle; it tows, it hauls, it goes through crap weather with ease. No issues other than an exhaust leak (repaired with Touareg parts at half the cost), and no complaints other than the horrible gas mileage (which I'm usually more than willing to live with).

Absoutely love it!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Love my CTT!
Old 08-23-2012, 05:46 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Cayennes have a phenolic water tube that passes under the intake.... when you start losing coolant, tear it apart and get out the checkbook. Another brilliant P-car design.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Cole
Drifting

Talking

The Cayennes have a phenolic water tube that passes under the intake.... when you start losing coolant, tear it apart and get out the checkbook. Another brilliant P-car design.

Yeah, it was a stupid easy fix and cost $500 to never deal with it again no biggie.

(Which means that when its 20 years old you won't have to deal with it either)
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Marajit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread.

Needs more cowbell.

How do you guys like the under-the-header placement of an oil cooler in the early cars and the attending drill when the o-rings or the element itself fails?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:36 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ditch68
In my observation (opinion), the biggest thing is the timing belt issue, and a lot of that reputation was and is fuelled by the early failures and Porsche's reaction to the issue. I have to admit, no matter how many miles I have ever had on a set of belts, I still secretly worry constantly about thier failure, and wince when I get near redline (though it doesn't stop me from driving hard).
Remember that engine rpm's are never constant, and that an engine works by a series of controlled explosions. Thus the cambelt sees the rotational acceleration of the crankshaft AND the uneven load from the valve train.

Timing belts are under the highest shock loading at idle, even more so with the clutch depressed. The torque pulse loads are at a maximum due to the lack of drivetrain inertia (car is out of gear) and the drop in rotational speed between firing pulses (frictional effects).

Porsche clearly state in the driver's manual not to let the car idle to warm up, but to get driving as soon as possible.

I suspect that the timing belts are very reliable when the car is driven as Porsche intended, but (due to modern traffic problems and overzealous owners) this is not always achievable.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Flat-tappet camshaft design and a rediculous double-sump lifter design...tic,tick,tick,tick....

Most people don't have a clue that these engines were designed for high Zn-P oils, just like motorcycle engines of the time. So either the cat is clogged or bearing journals/cams/lifters are worn out before 100K
My lifters were noisy but improved back to dead quiet once I fixed the problems with the fuelling (worn out O2 sensor, exhaust leak, failed FPR).

Wonder how many other 944 lifter problems are actually caused by rich running (and resultant oil degradation/sludge)?

If I'd followed the service manual to the letter, I would never have had this problem...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I purchased my '86 944 NA new from Joe Coker Imports in Mobile, Alabama. Only 25 miles on the clock when I picked it up.

My philosophy is preventative maintenance. Currently, I clocked just over 287,000 miles. It's been my daily driver for the first 17 yrs and now is a semi-retired garage queen (average about 3,000 miles a yr).
Reliability issues early on (1986 -1989+/-)
--oil cooler seal
--headlamp relay
--fuel line recall (didn't fail; just precautionary replacement)
--cruise control (later in the 1990's.....set the speed issues)

That's it. No timing belt issues. No clutch with rubber center issues (I went thru 4 by normal wear).
Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Hmm... I posted lots of stuff about Cayennes, and I did, indeed, end up with one. I picked up a well-loved 2005 V6 in February of '11. Lapis Blue with gray leather, 82k on the clock, it's well over 100k now. An absolutely brilliant vehicle. It's our go-to vehicle; it tows, it hauls, it goes through crap weather with ease. No issues other than an exhaust leak (repaired with Touareg parts at half the cost), and no complaints other than the horrible gas mileage (which I'm usually more than willing to live with).

Absoutely love it!
Thanks for that. I was referring to the thread you started saying you wanted a Cayenne, but that the Cayenne owners in the Forum were scaring the crud out of you with the horror tales. I have been reading around and strongly considering a new 2013 diesel Cayenne for my wife.

We tested the Land Rovers, a new Ford Explorer but not one with the new twin turbo in it, and a Mercedes ML 350 with the Blue Tec diesel.

We like the Porsche but I was having trouble with the $20K difference between it and the the MB at the same option levels. That is about 12K price difference, another 5K in service as our MB dealer threw in all the A & B services free, and a few thousand in discounts on the MB vs Porsche at full price.

So kind of pertaining to this thread or reliablity, albeit a different water cooled front engine Porsche nonetheless, I was trying to sell myself that the Porsche, with its solid engineering, would be more reliable than the Mercedes as the Porsche dealer is 40 mlies one way away and the MB is 5 miles away.

Glad to hear your experience. Thanks Shawn and Cole too.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Cole
Drifting

The Cayanne Forum here is crap!! There are a couple of fear mongering bullies. Not sense of reality or community.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

+2 on the busted 951 clutch fork.....cast iron crap WTF. I spent an entire weekend on the Bridegport making one out of 4140 and another weekend putting it all back together
How is it working, and will you make me one?
Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Jrboulder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To lease a new boxster for 36 months it would be $872.55/mo.

You're going to pay it in one way or another.

That being said, if you can sort out a 944 on your own you could probably spend $872.55 per year keeping it going almost indefinitely.

The problem is that so many owners have neglected their cars and honestly the ones that haven't been neglected aren't for sale. If you want to DD a 944 plan on dropping $2,500+ and hundreds of hours of wrenching to get it up to speed, and that's for a nice one.

Grease has a shelf life of 2-5 years. Rubber is only useable for 15 years at the most. These aren't new cars.

Quick Reply: The reliability challenge question!