Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torsion bar delete: rear too low

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:58 AM
968CS_HKG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the ride height now? (It's probably easiest to measure from the ground to the top of the wheel arch on the body)

635mm from arch to ground

Do you still have rubber spring plate bushings, or have you replaced them with solid bushings?

Solid bushings
Old 08-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 968CS_HKG
I have too running without torsion bar with a set of recently installed Intrax RSA from Lindsey Racing. The car is sitting at the right height but I run into problem not able to adjust proper camber or toe. The minimum camber the mechanic could get is -2.5 but with crazy amount of toe, but when he adjust for the correct toe, the camber with go -4.0. Tried to adjust the ride height using the eccentric in the spring plate, the axle only move for a few mm. Is this to do with the removal of the torsion bar?? Or is there something we have missed?? Thanks for your help!!
What alignment specs are you trying to match? Dedicated track car?

"Crazy toe" = too much toe-in or too much toe-out?

Same problem on both sides of the car, or just one side?

Has this mechanic aligned your car before, many times?

The 944 rear suspension is notoriously difficult to get enough toe-in w/ enough negative camber for track use.

Spring plate eccentrics should still work to adjust ride height if needed w/o torsion bars (although no need since you can use the threaded spring perches).
Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 PM
968CS_HKG
Intermediate

I have found that it was the worn out eccentric bolt and hole of the height adjustment that affects the whole thing. I need to replace the items circled in red. Where is the best place that has stock available?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

If the slots in the spring plates are "worn" that is actually a good thing, as many racers will open those slots up to allow for more adjustment range. The swaybar eccentric (item 28 in the pic) can get worn out, but that takes a lot of screwing around by a mechanic that didn't loosen the other bolts enough.

Is your mechanic telling you to buy entire new spring plate assemblies? This is the same mechanic struggling w/ too much toe/camber, and the same mechanic that performed the torsion bar delete work?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 AM
968CS_HKG
Intermediate

The car was bought used from UK and this is the very first time to adjust the height of the car using the eccentric bolt. So, I guess the bolt has been worn since day one. But since now I have deleted the TB and installed a set of Intrax, the affected the original position of the spring plate and it needs to utilize the height adjustment to compensate the camber and then adjust the toe.

Talked mechanic this morning. Yes, you are right. With the slot enlarged now, the mechanic is getting new eccentric bolts made and have the slot cleaned up so that it will have bigger range of adjustment, which is perfect for my track day setup. And I get away from buying new spring plates.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:51 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The car was bought used from UK and this is the very first time to adjust the height of the car using the eccentric bolt. So, I guess the bolt has been worn since day one. But since now I have deleted the TB and installed a set of Intrax, the affected the original position of the spring plate and it needs to utilize the height adjustment to compensate the camber and then adjust the toe.

Talked mechanic this morning. Yes, you are right. With the slot enlarged now, the mechanic is getting new eccentric bolts made and have the slot cleaned up so that it will have bigger range of adjustment, which is perfect for my track day setup. And I get away from buying new spring plates.
I don't understand what you are doing here. The eccentric for the height adjustment has nothing to do with camber or toe. It only indexes the splines on the spring plate. Since you are running with no torsion bars, this has no effect.

Camber and toe are adjusted at the three bolts holding the spring plate to the cast alloy arm.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 AM
968CS_HKG
Intermediate

Ah... OK! So, I don't have to work on the height adjustment bolt? I just have to bolt tight to the centre position?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Ah... OK! So, I don't have to work on the height adjustment bolt? I just have to bolt tight to the centre position?
Yes
Old 08-30-2012, 02:03 AM
968CS_HKG
Intermediate

Got you, thanks Mike!
Old 08-30-2012, 02:06 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Camber/toe adjustment is easier with one of these:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...TD020_pg80.htm

Info here: http://www.944turbo.org.uk/suspension.htm

Rear camber

Set with the eccentric bolt that is one of the three 12mm bolts holding the spring plate to the trailing arm. The eccentric bolt is also the mount for the sway bar drop link. Requires all three 12mm bolts to be loosened. Rotating the eccentric causes the trailing arm to rotate where it attaches to the spring plate. Replace the lock nuts after a couple of cycles. Torque the nut on the eccentric to 66 ft-lb and the other two bolts to 76 ft-lb when finished.

Alignment: -1 to -1.5 camber.

Toe

Set by loosening the 12mm bolts described above and using a special tool inserted into the hole located to the rear of the camber eccentric. This tool, when rotated, causes the trailing arm to move slightly forward or rearward on the spring plate. The special tool is not essential as long as you are careful with the motion. Torque as above.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:23 AM
968CS_HKG
Intermediate

Thanks Mike, I have made up that special tool for the toe adjustment.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:06 AM
968CS_HKG
Intermediate

Finally, we have got the alignment sorted.

Custom set of eccentric bolts to give us better range of camber adjustment at the rear.

Alignment data looks good.

Finally, some weight balance. 1,270kg of car + 95kg of me. I am happy with the weight loss I have done to the car. Now, I better do some work for myself, LOL!

Quick Reply: Torsion bar delete: rear too low