Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

:: ECS Tuning :: The Ultimate Timing Belt Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Jamesr6967
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be the next purchase after a new AFM for my newly acquired 85.5 DME.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

I'll definitely need to do mine soon, too. Probably this winter.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jrboulder
Somebody should come up with a kit that has all the vacuum and coolant hoses, belts, FOES, water pump, and AOS seals, and the option of the oil cooler seal kit, head gasket set and an exchange overhauled head.

It would be the perfect kit to get a newly bought 944 up to speed in like a weekend.
Or months when you snap bolts off in the block........
Old 08-24-2012, 06:04 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by VirginiaF1

If its any help, my service records from previous owners indicate that the original factory ( LASO brand ) waterpump lasted 147,651 miles before weeping and requiring replacement.
My current LASO has 102k on it...
YMMV

i did everything on my variocam system (968) including the pads, chain etc @ 114 k miles.

the water pump was original since the date of manufacture and was working fine.

you can probably change the H20 pump every other belt change if you get an HQ unit such as the op is selling here.

my 944 was at 117 k miles on the original belts and H20 pump when i blew the engine due to oil loss.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for the support !! We are always working on building new kits for Porsche's old and new. "We want to help you keep them on the road for as long as we can."
Old 10-17-2012, 04:12 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Don't let this happen to you and order a timing belt kit today !! For more information Click Here
Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

at 114 k miles, mine was still working fine when we pulled it

l

Last edited by odurandina; 10-18-2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:07 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our kits are assembled with quality rollers and tensioners from Ruville, and INA
Beside Ruville you can buy rollers & tensioners under several different brands. All of these brands (also Ruville) use INA made parts, so they are the same as factory ones.
You have to be careful with balance saft tensioner roller, it's the only part where also cheap chines replacement ones can be found. That's mainly because the same roller was used with Spanish made Seat Ibizas in late 80's. That car had a Porsche designed "System Porsche engine" and 944 BS tensioner was used as a timing belt tensioner.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:06 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Save now and get this detail done over the winter or spring. On sale for a limited time only !! So act FAST

Click Here for select your Vehicle>Engine>Timing or the links above.

Last edited by ECS Tuning; 12-21-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 12-21-2012, 06:39 PM
airtraffic
Intermediate

Default ECS "Ultimate" Timing belt kits

I ordered one of ECS's "Ultimate timing belt kits.. Mine came with missing/incorrect parts.. I called ECS and let them know about it. They said they'd ship out the parts that were incorrect/missing. They estimated 3 business days. A month later, I still did not have my parts.. Every time I called to ask about the parts, I was told they were about to ship out. Then I got an Email saying the part was out of stock, but was expected in a couple of days and would "ship Monday". After three of these Emails, I just went and bought the parts myself at a local parts supplier.
When I called ECS and asked for them to credit back my debit card for the amount of the parts.. They said they could not do that, but as a gesture of goodwill, they'd give me store credit. I don't know how not sending me parts I paid for and giving me store credit is goodwill, but, whatever. It wasn't that big a deal, so I let it go.

The quality of the parts was just OK.. I don't remember the brand of WP, it wasn't a Porsche pump but the quality seemed decent. (I would not have expected a Porsche pump for that price though) For the price I paid, I thought the kit was a bit lacking.. especially when I was supplied with turbo parts for an N/A motor. The thermostat was bad.. Engine kept getting too hot unless heat was turned up, using the cabin radiator to bleed off heat. I went to Auto Zone and bought another to keep the engine temp in the correct range.. Worked like a charm. There were also some seals and snap rings missing, so I had to re-use some old ones. I would have been better off purchasing all of the timing belt parts from my local indie guys.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi again Air..
Sorry you had this experience but I trust that ECS will respond here to ensure those of us due for WP/TB projects soon..

I reviewed your August, October and December posts.
The coolant/ WP overheat issue was ultimately a bad stat and air in the system?

Separately, your hesitation issue ever resolved?
New ignition coil and Autothority chip solved mine.

Cheers mate
Mikey

P.S. Posted at 9:44pm on the "last day of Earth"...
Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

airtraffic Your supplied the Turbo parts because the naturally aspirated cars are supposed to be updated with the turbo water pump. All the water pumps are LASO. If your thermostat we supplied was bad, you should be able to exchange it for a new one with out a problem. We are sorry for your headache and don't want to ever make you or any other customers mad. PM me details of your order and I will get everything worked out for you.

Last edited by ECS Tuning; 12-26-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 AM
airtraffic
Intermediate

Hey there F1,

It does appear that the problem was the bad T-stat.. I tell ya, I am now the expert at R&R-ing T-stats.. The last time I did it, I think it took me 10 minutes.

I got the one from ECS which apparently did not open, as the engine needed to use the cabin heater core to vent off heat and keep the engine in the safe range as I drove home on the highway. I went on Auto-zone's website and got one of the cooler T-stats, thinking I needed to go down in temp to keep things cool. After install I wasn't getting the engine warm enough, so back to AZ and up 10 deg. C. Also got another electric fan switch 10 C warmer than the T-stat. Temps are good now.

I swapped out DME boxes after finding one from another 944S cheap on Ebay.. 48K miles. My low speed hesitation did improve, but I can still feel some hesitation from 2600 - 3000 RPM. If I am starting out in first and keep my revs steadily climbing through 3K, the hesitation is about all but gone. Almost "feels" like a vacuum issue.

Strange thing now, is after 1 hour of cruising at 70 MPH on the highway with no issues, when I exit and come to a stop, the engine sputters, RPM's dive down to 200 and the car about dies.. If I pump the gas pedal a bit and stabilize the RPMs back to 1000, things are fine. I can then drive back home through the remaining stoplights without issue.

I do need to go through the vacuum hoses.. I think they're almost all original. I can see some cracks in the larger lines near the driver's side firewall, just forward of the brake booster. I thought that was all heater valve stuff though. A new coil and a chip probably wouldn't hurt either. I'll look up the chip you mentioned.. There's also the one that FR Wilke sells, the "Powerprom" $125 + shipping.

Thanks again for your help F1!

ECS, I appreciate you reaching out.. I'll send you a PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:30 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

With just a few days left hurry and act fast before the sale passes you by

Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 PM
TurnerJ
Racer

Thanks for putting this kit together ECS. I purchased it a few months ago, installed it with the help of a friend, and the car has been running great since. There was only one hiccup with the shipment, but all that I had to do was send an email and the missing part was sent with my next shipment. I am very pleased with both the kit and the company!
Thanks again!

Quick Reply: :: ECS Tuning :: The Ultimate Timing Belt Kit