Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, stupid question on alternator belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:27 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help, stupid question on alternator belt

Hey guys, so I had to replace the voltage regulator on my alternator for my 86' 944 and used clarksgarage as a very helpful reference. When removing the alternator belt I noticed it had a bunch of cracks so I replaced it.

The problem I'm running into is that I cannot move the A/C compressor enough to install the new alternator belt with the old setting of the turnbuckle adjustment spacer. My question is do I shorten the spacer a bit to compensate for the new belt or just keep trying to push the compressor enough to stretch the belt so that the turnbuckle bolt can be installed. The spacer was properly adjusted prior to removal.

If I had to shorten the spacer, how do I tell what the proper adjustment is? I know this is completely a rookie question, thanks for the help.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:23 AM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so I figured out everything else except how to tell what the proper setting would be on the spacer. Or rather, how much tension is proper and how can I tell this. I'm sure with some slight adjustments I'll get it but was wondering if there was a definite way of telling. In the mean time, I'll adjust the spacer as I see fit to maker sure there aren't any squeals.

Quick Reply: Need help, stupid question on alternator belt