Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushing List

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Luke714
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushing List

Hello All,

Thank you in advance for any help. I want to replace all the old saggy rubber bushings front and rear. I noticed the extra movement a lot more since the LS1. I don't have much experience changing suspension bushings, let alone picking out a set for a 944 specifically. Mine's an '86 951. I also plan on installing Elephant Racing's bump steer kit. I've already upgraded the front ball joints to a 19mm pin. I have camber/caster plates up front, coilover conversion front with 440# springs and 29mm rear torsion bars. 295's rear tires, 255 fronts, solid mounted tranny. If there is any other relevant info need let me know!

Here's what I was thinking, I'd love to hear whether this is a workable plan.

I don't know what to do about the rear bushing of the front control arm. I can't afford the monoballs, but I can't find a PU bushing. Only a PU bushing for the front joint of the arm. Am I missing anything? I don't want delrin on the front arms because I think it would cause too much binding.

Thank you for any advice!

Regards,

Luke
Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 AM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If this is for the street, I would not put delrin/monoballs in - the front/rear OEM caster block has been upgraded, is cheap and works well. The monoballs are OK for the track but you have to maintain them, no matter how enthusiastic the maker is - Elephant sold me a pair for the front and they were very disappointing, had to mount them with Locktite and pack them with grease as they were binding right out of the box. Although I like the idea of the technology, for street use where you mount 'em and forget 'em, they are not the answer. The steering rack bushings are overkill - I just replaced my rack this past weekend and the rubber bushings are so captive they hardly move. Besides, you will have to drop the rack to get the damn things on and while you are doing your rack just for bushings, you better send the kids to play in the neighbour's yard as your language will be 'interesting.'

Forgot to mention, the noise and driveability of a solid suspension for road use will p*ss you off quite quickly, unless you have a wide masochistic streak or are 18 years old.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Luke714
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, thanks for the reply.

So you think that freshening up the front control arms with stock rubber bushings will keep things pretty tight? What about these PU bushings and then these stock rubber caster blocks?

Even if I wanted to I can't afford the monoballs up front anyway.

With the extra power from the LS1, and the wider rear tires it seems like the rear suspension is really flexing a lot. I've been getting some wheel hop, is that all from a lack of damping? The dampers I've got are adjustable and I plan to crank them up a bit to help the behavior. I've never attempted a burnout in the car, but I've noticed the behavior powering out of corners aggressively and letting the rear end come out a little bit. That's the reason I thought the monoballs on the rear control arms might be a good idea. Will the monoball in that position really make the ride a lot harsher? Maybe I'll drop the solid upper torsion tube mounts.

Thanks for the input on the steering rack.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

You might just need larger torsion bars for the rear...

If it's a street car, I'd just get new stock bushings, or, perhaps, the Weltmeister urethane ones.

Quick Reply: Bushing List