Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine tick/knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 PM
ehokana
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Engine tick/knock

I'm really hoping someone on here can help me with this one.

Two days ago I was driving my 944 ('87 turbo) and had a full engine failure. The car shut off and I lost power immediately almost like it had stalled. On the side of the road I let it cool a bit and tried to restart it after a good hour or two but it was no good. After noticing that I had no tach bounce, I found that one of the reference/speed sensor wires had ended up sitting on the backside of the engine and the wire had been burned through. It was an easy replacement- a new sensor and the car fired right up. Today I started the car up again and there is a ticking or knock sound coming from the top side of the engine- it sounds like it's around the 3rd cylinder.

Can anyone give me a direction to check what may have happened? Could one of the valves have been damaged on shutdown or something similar?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It appeared all of a sudden and it doesn't go away when the engine is warm?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 PM
ehokana
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I noticed it right after I got the car home the other night and I know it never made that noise before. I was hesitant to run it long enough for the motor to warm up in case something had been damaged on shutdown- I didn't want to make it worse

I read some of the other threads on here and decided to run some seafoam through it and then change the oil. It seems to have quieted down now so maybe a lifter was stuck or something. I'm going to drive it to school today so the seafoam can work through it a little more and then change the oil tonight. Let's hope that is an end to it

Quick Reply: Engine tick/knock