Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant disappeared.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 04:43 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default coolant disappeared.

I was working on some stuff today and while the engine was running I noticed bubbles in the reservoir. I revved the engine and the tank emptied back into the engine. I put more coolant in the reservoir and ran the engine until it was pretty hot and then bled off the air bubbles. The fans are controlling the heat and the A/C is working with the fans, too. Now the tank is normal again.

I remember reading a recent text about coolant loss and about it going onto the garage floor. However, last week I was driving my car with the A/C on and it wasn't cooling as well as it should and it was getting humid in the car. My passenger said the footwell was very wet. I pulled the mats and it really was. Granted it was raining for a few days and the car was outside and I suspected a leak but it doesn't explain the coolant loss.

Can a coolant loss end up in the passenger footwell? If so, what are we looking at here? Is it possible the heater control valve is causing it? Can the A/C drain onto the passenger floor?

Another thought is maybe I didn't really lose any coolant and perhaps when I installed a new water pump I didn't get the car hot enough for the thermostat to open and thus didn't get enough coolant into the engine to start with.

Stuff like this really is a challenge.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:38 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

blown head gasket ?

if it proves to be the head gasket, i would try head gasket sealer...

it saved me from a $1000 + repair just a few weeks ago.

use only after you flush completely to an all water mix and you should be ok.

Quick Reply: coolant disappeared.