Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Porsche ('88 944 Turbo S)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 AM
jred42
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Porsche ('88 944 Turbo S)

Earlier this week I purchased the first of what I'm sure will become many Porsches. Before I describe the car, I'd like to introduce myself.

I am a mechanical engineering student entering my final year of my B.S.M.E. I've been a long time Porsche fan ever since my dad bought his about 12 years ago. His car is a 1986 Carrera Targa in Gaurds Red. We both are very active in autocross. We run regularly in local SCCA events in the 911 and the car has competed in 2 PCA Porsche Parades (Charlotte and Savannah). At Savannah the car took 1st and 2nd place in the autocross P08 class with me taking top honors over my dad.

Now the car. The car is a 1988 Turbo S in Black with 58,000 miles on it. I found it at a used car lot near my school. The lot typically deals in high mileage ordinary used cars and was really interested in getting a quick sale. The car had been found in the pole barn of some property a buddy of the dealer had purchased. He was in the process of selling the car to a Porsche dealer when I contacted him, so I had to commit to the purchase without checking a lot of the things I probably should have. At a purchase price of $9600 I think I got a deal even if 1 or 2 things end up being wrong.

Here are some pictures:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...728_185904.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8_185916-1.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...728_185932.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...728_190015.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...728_190005.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...728_185831.jpg

I'm curious what you guys think the car is worth. Feel free to tell me if you think I made a bad purchase. Here are some lists of Pros and Cons about the car.

Pros:
The paint is still a very deep black
interior is nearly flawless
engine bay seems really clean
low miles
New brake pads and rotors
clutch seems to grab well

Cons:
Air box cover is missing
undertray is missing
driver side seatback angle adjustment goes forward, but not back (we had this issue on the 911 as well)
need to change timing belt and waterpump due to lack of service history
driver side window needs new wheels and stop block (worked when I got the car, broke 2 days later)
unknown service history

I've checked most everything that has been mentioned in guides to purchasing a 944 and haven't found anything else wrong with the car so far.

Let me know what you guys think, I'd really like to know what the car is worth.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 04:21 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

welcome.

you're asking about what your car is worth. boils down to collectabilty and it's current condition. collectability ? well, the Turbo S is probably in the top 3 best cars of the 1980s imo... and, it should rank higher as a historically significant '80s model (to go along with it's incredible performance)... but for whatever reason—it doesn't... there are very few cars from the 1980s that are collectables... the list is short; Ferrari F-40, Porsche 959, Ferrari GTO, Testarossa, 308/328, Aston Martin V8 Vantage..... and finally, the 944 Turbo S, Lotus Esprit T..... but all else, is now, virtually forgotten by the public. the 944T got respect 25 years ago. but, most of the original enthusiasts, have moved on to more refined platforms with larger engines... worse, today's young people that would have been there to take their place are mostly too lazy to bother (video junkies).... so you have that.... and bigger, better engines, high-production models, Japanese cars, Korean cars, etc... all have come a long way since 1988..... the condition of your car ? can't tell much from here.

but, the Turbo's still offer virtually unlimited driving pleasure.... at it's worst, it's not imune to issues you normally see with 25-year-old, low-production, entry-level, semi-exotics... lots of adjectives, but that's what the Turbos are... the 944s don't like to sit. and (despite what people wish to think) they're just not designed well-enough for 400~600 hp... learn from those who came before. things can and do go bad, cause divorces and kill owners (kill them dead). but it doesn't have to be that way. tuning big may work for a time, but, the likelihood that something will eventually blow up increases quickly.... the rod bearings are soft and don't take kindly to compromised oil.... unfortunately, things happen that lead to compromised or low oil pressure through the crank, premature wear of the rod bearings and eventually, failure. you have 250 hp now... keep the suspension, brakes/fluid tuned and you'll get more out of what you already have.... if you keep the engine tuned to no more than about 300 hp, take care of it; (i.e.; timing system, H20 pump, overflow tank, oil, sensors, maf, vacuum hoses, etc) all properly maintained—then you should be able to enjoy the car for a long time.

at purchase; watch for failing head gaskets and signs that over-heating has happened (warping/discoloration of the overflow tank)... bad belts... belts older than 4 years have to be changed asap regardless of mileage, plastic pulleys/tensioner also get brittle and need to be changed about every other belt change. inspect the fuel lines in the engine bay (catastrophic fires) and change them out.... find the 944T forum. start reading threads. start building your spare parts bin with the help of the members, Lart, etc... run a premium 15w50 synthetic like Amsoil, and change it regularly—and even if the car has been well-maintained, always watch for bad fan relays, failing H20 pumps, bad oil cooler lines/o-rings (lead to coolant mixing with oil). clutches are a big job. learn, tune, forget the go-fast stuff. it's a 24 year old 4 cylinder engine with a 30 year old ems design. when measured per 100,000 miles, depending on the previous owner and how you drive, you can be looking at a significant amount of money or wrenching to keep the car running.

good luck !

Last edited by odurandina; 08-01-2012 at 02:00 AM.

Quick Reply: My First Porsche ('88 944 Turbo S)