Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Switch Doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts
Default A/C Switch Doesn't work

Hey guys my a/c snow flake switch worked last summer now it won't stay down and I noticed the light use to be Green when pressed in now it's Amber. Is it just the switch needs to be replaced or could something else cause it?

I don't hear the compressor engage but I don't remember it ever engaging, but the fans would kick on like they should and such. I'm not looking for the a/c to work just to make sure the switch needs to be replaced and not something else causing it (i know its $100 and needs to be soldered).
Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
Hey guys my a/c snow flake switch worked last summer now it won't stay down
Same issue here in Richmond last month in 102F..
Had the R134 and oil vacuumed, recharged and tested.. 33oz IIRC.
From there the system is cool but not cold as my Expansion Valve is ready for replacement.

I took John's ( I think) suggestion that a quick slap on the snowflake keeps the switch activated... as opposed to "pressing" the button. Age and use has diminished the switch's latches I guess. There was also a caveat that the compressor's anti-low pressure protection thingy protects from burning out the Denso if short on refrigerant.

Works well... thank heaven as I have the older Climate Control that sells for $600+...
The switch on mine is integrated in my module... evidently the S2 has a separate replaceable switch?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:17 AM
River
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this as well. Pulled it out, usoldered it, soldered another new one in it's place. Worth it.

and, the amber isn't as bright as I think it should be, but...the dang the works and I'm happy.

Green? I'm really curious about this as well. I think my parking lights turn green, and everything else to the right of the steering wheel is amber...
Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Alabama Sam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the middle of a switch saga. Three months ago I bought a beautiful, well maintained 89 944 NA. All good but the AC didn't work and in addition the snowflake switch was broken in the usual manner - wouldn't stay in. The assembly is removable, so I removed it and found that my switches are not soldered. The switch pins just touch the circuit board. The plastic faceplate was cracked in several places, so someone had been in there before me. All this adds up to is that I don't know whether my '89 came from the factory with the switches unsoldered or whether a previous owner put it back together that way. I have a new snowflake switch I got from Ian at 944online, and I'm going to rebuild my unit and see if it works without soldering.

Or I may design something a little different, a little uglier, but a little more reliable, which brings me to my question: Does anyone have a schematic or pinout of the two switches in this control head?

TIA

Quick Reply: A/C Switch Doesn't work