Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 944 Qestion...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 PM
pooorsche
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 Qestion...?

Hi I have an 86' 944, I was just wondering how often and common it is for the speedometer sensor to go out/stop working on these cars? I only have had one of these cars but I have heard it is a problem that can happen in these and would like to hear if anyone else has had these experiences and how often? As well as how they occurred with your car... Thank you.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:36 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a very common problem. You can try cleaning the plug connections, sometimes that helps.

They are a bit pricey brand new, but if you replace it once, there's a high chance you won't need to ever replace it again.. at least not for several years.

You can also buy the bmw version and they are significantly less. It's the same Bosch part, except with a different part number... Hopefully somebody here will post it up for you to look at.

And PS - Welcome to Rennlist! Just noticed this was your first post. You should be able to find all the help you'll ever need with your car at this site.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drift a 944
That's a very common problem. You can try cleaning the plug connections, sometimes that helps.

They are a bit pricey brand new, but if you replace it once, there's a high chance you won't need to ever replace it again.. at least not for several years.

You can also buy the bmw version and they are significantly less. It's the same Bosch part, except with a different part number... Hopefully somebody here will post it up for you to look at.

And PS - Welcome to Rennlist! Just noticed this was your first post. You should be able to find all the help you'll ever need with your car at this site.
I didn't know that about the BMW version good to know hopefully someone will post it.

I agree cleane the post good first. Its all my '86 needed to get the speedo working. A year later and 30k miles still works fine.

Oh and welcome also,

michael
Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The one on my '86 went out at about 92k miles, in 2009. I took it apart to see if it was repairable, it really isn't. It's a really low-tech piece inside, a magnet that pulls a reed switch closed to give pulses of 12v to the speedometer, plus a little circuit board. Reed switches have a very finite life but that is apparently nearly 100k miles or 23 years. Don't buy a used one if yours fails, bite the bullet and get a new one. There are people selling them on eBay for less than the parts houses. That's where I got mine and it hasn't been a problem.

I noticed my speedo not registering any speed for a couple miles after starting out, then starting up. Then it just totally failed.

Quick Reply: 86 944 Qestion...?