Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA Vented Nose Panel Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Toran
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NA Vented Nose Panel Ideas

Hello Everyone!

Was looking for a Summer project and thought Rennlist is a great place to get some inspiration and technical feedback.

I have been eyeballing a 924/931 vented header for awhile but never pursed it.
Now I am learning that the inserts are even harder to come by. With that in mind would you please post some images of your custom modded NA vented headers. After doing a few test cuts with a dremel I think it would be helpful to get a better visual understanding of some other custom esthetics headers already on the road!

Cutting tools?
Inserts materials?

T.I.A.

Last edited by Toran; 06-27-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Carl Nall
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vented Nose Panel

That's a worthy project. When I did this to my 84 many years ago, I visited my local Porsche parts house and purchased the vents, seems like they were $4.50 each at that time. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

post pictures of your progress thus far. I'm thinking of cutting mine up as well.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Ahh, Botox for the 944 soul. The owner means well and it makes sense, because hey, these really should be that way. But no. Nothing ruins the front of these beautiful cars like a vented nose, not to mention Porsche engineers didn't really design these that way. I recommend looking for another summer project like staining your fence or weeding the garden.

There, I said it.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 AM
944meister
Pro

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Ahh, Botox for the 944 soul. The owner means well and it makes sense, because hey, these really should be that way. But no. Nothing ruins the front of these beautiful cars like a vented nose, not to mention Porsche engineers didn't really design these that way. I recommend looking for another summer project like staining your fence or weeding the garden.

There, I said it.
I have to agree with you, form should follow function. Your just introducing more high pressure air in the engine compartment for no other reason than looks. if it were for something like an intercooler, than you would want extraction vents to evacuate that air. don't mind my opinion, its your car anyways
Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Toran
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But I already stained the deck and pulled the weeds followed by installing a skylight.

The transformation began years ago first with sides skirts, and a year later with 968 door handles.

veleno, I actually have no test cuts on an actual header. I was fooling around on some wood in oder to become dremel certified.

Last edited by Toran; 06-27-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Go for it, I think it does add a certain something to the plain panel. I wouldn't worry about "positive pressure" and such technical stuff. The panel vents on an na will add cooling airflow to the very top of the radiator and any positive pressure that makes it's way to the engine bay isn't an issue. Afterall there's a huge gap at the rear hood area for air to quickly escape. Might even aid to draw some hot engine bay air out.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

While not overly technical, I have noticed that my water temperature gauge tends to run a little bit cooler after installing my 931 panel versus before it. It goes against the pressure differential conventional wisdom but that has been the trend. I won't go so far as to say that it is actually helping but I am confident that it isn't hurting anything.

I'm not really sure what advice I can give on cutting the panels but I would recommend bending some metal back at the top and bottom of each vent so that you have something to mount the grills to. (see the attached pic so that you know what I'm talking about).

My original plan had been to try and cut the nose panel before I actually found one. Looking at it, I might be more prone to simply buying an aftermarket one with the vent holes cut and then trying to find something to serve as the grills. But then, that's because I'm not sure that I trust myself enough to make clean, consistent cuts. Of course, you then run in to issues with fiberglass quality, etc.

BB.

Last edited by BeerBurner; 02-07-2023 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

MAGK944 - I love the look of the Euro Bumper with the 931 header. Where did you get the Euro front bumper and was it hard to change it with the NA one?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantviper
MAGK944 - I love the look of the Euro Bumper with the 931 header. Where did you get the Euro front bumper and was it hard to change it with the NA one?
That isn't my car but I do also have Euro bumpers front and rear and they are direct swap. You need the Euro mounts for it instead of the US bumper shocks, but that's it. Plenty available in Europe, I'll be back there November and might bring a couple back.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The NA runs alot cooler when the lower valance portion between the foglamps is cut out.

Quick Reply: NA Vented Nose Panel Ideas