Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 944 Sunroof Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 PM
knights89
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 944 Sunroof Issue

Hello Fellow Enthusiasts!
Hopefully someone can help me with an issue I am having with my sunroof. I searched the forums for approximately 4 hours yesterday, but could not find my issue. I have a 1988 944 8V. I am the original owner. Last month I brought it out of my garage, as I always do. I live in NY, and garage it for the winter months. Everything seemed ok. The other day it was nice out, so while I was driving I pressed the sunroof button to pop up the roof. All of a sudden I heard the sunroof popping up and down slightly. I pressed the button to lower it, but it didn't help. I pulled over, looked up at the sunroof, and noticed that the roof was above the arms. I pressed the button, and the arms retracted, lowering the roof. I pressed it again, and the arms raised up to the lock position. The car was running. I know that if the key is in the ON position, the arms are supposed to raise up to vent or down to lock. If it is in the ACC position, the arms are supposed to retract to allow removal of the roof, and raise up to lock. In the ACC position, the button does nothing, and in the ON position, it does what it is supposed to do in the ACC position. I know the Clarks Garage website had a procedure (ELECT-18) to test the sunroof operation. I followed the diagnosis for the Sunroof relay (everything else passed) and found what I believe is the issue, but do not know what to do.
In checking the button wire voltage, in the ACC position, at terminal 2, there is 10 volts. In the ON position, at terminal 2 - 0 volts, at terminal 1 - 12 volts. In checking the supply voltage to the relay (relay removed) in the ACC position - terminal R - 12 volts. In the ON position - terminal A - 5 volts. I had the Battery and Alternator tested, they are both OK.

I tried to be as thorough as I could. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the ACC position, the button does nothing...
Well cheer up, at least you have the late system. So when you say "does nothing" have you tested it to know (in ACC) when its up, it won't come down and when its down, it wont' go up? I ask because it is common for the micro-switch pair to get "out-of-rig" or just be loose and the symptom can then be goes-up-then-nothing (in ACC). And that would also explain that "in the ON position, it does what it is supposed to do in the ACC position."

Another hint, consider adjusting your clutch looser before doing anything - might save the gears during your testing. If you do decide to attempt to reset the pair of ganged microswitches, then don't rely on the click, use a meter to see wehn continuity is made - even then it can be very tedious to set it accurately. Switches are cheap, a flaky one can ruin a Saturday afternoon....Good luck...Bruce
Old 06-16-2012, 10:29 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the old sunroof stuff with the new switches and stuff. Great. 3-position ignition, 'late' sunroof switch, old gear. Must have been a Monday-start-built, Monday finish.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 PM
River
Racer

Make sure your cam and switches are set properly. (and screws are tight to it sets the switches triggers) This is a pita.

Check the microswitch in the center console, it needs to be "just so". It could be bad.

Also, pull your console switch and clean it well too. Make sure you add some super glue to that bb bearing while you're in there.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 PM
knights89
4th Gear

Thanks Guys, Ill tackle your points on the weekend and let you know

Quick Reply: 88 944 Sunroof Issue