Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC rehab after long drought

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Cosmatics951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC rehab after long drought

I think I am going to finally tackle the AC in my dads commuter. He isn't a big AC fan but I figure one of these days he will die of heatstroke on the commute home.

Here is the info, I don't believe the AC has ever worked in this car since we got it in 2001. I presume the compressor has to be toast by now since its been so long. So I'm thinking getting a keuhl kit from griffiths. So here is the method I will try to use. I have the proper manifold, and vacuum pump.

1) purchase convert kit from griffiths, compressor, dryer, orings, etc.
2) take car to local shop to evacuate gas, and have the system flushed?
3) remove old compressor, install new keuhl, install new orings
4) have system all set, put in dryer, and immediately pull vacuum for 1 hr, should hold for last 30mins
5) put in refrig and fill to proper level
6) pray

What am I missing here?

I've been using this as a guide, http://blarg.introspect.net/cars/7

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kuehl has other "improved" products depending on what car your dads commuter is?

If budget is not a consideration and you want the R134a to perform equal to R12, get a new condenser that is designed for the R134a.

http://www.griffiths.com/shop/index....products_id=54

You put a question mark on item #2. I wonder if the system has any freon left in 12 years? Press a valve and listen for a hiss.

Flushing is good.

GL
John
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on the old refrigerant. Probably long gone.

Might add expansion valve to your list...
Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Cosmatics951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I was thinking that should just be replaced for good measure. There isn't any point in checking for leaks prior to the install of all the new equipment correct?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmatics951

1) purchase convert kit from griffiths, compressor, dryer, orings, etc.
2) take car to local shop to evacuate gas, and have the system flushed?
"Touch" schrader valve pin an see if there is gas in system before making the trip.
3) remove old compressor, install new keuhl, install new orings
4) have system all set, put in dryer, and immediately pull vacuum for 1 hr, should hold for last 30mins
5) put in refrig and fill to proper level
6) pray

What am I missing here?

I've been using this as a guide, http://blarg.introspect.net/cars/7

Thanks.
1) Locate service ports (schrader valves), carefully lightly touch pin to see if there is any refrigerant, if none you won't have to recover refrigerant.
When you remove old compressor tilt it over a clean can and inspect any residual oil for signs of contamination (metal particles, grey matter, gooey sludged oil), if the oil looks pretty good AND if the car never had a compressor that locked-up, froze or grenaded, you typically don't have to flush the system.
However, if you want to do the "perfect" job, you would liquid flush any lines you are not replacing, the condenser, and the evaporator (removing the evaporator is a PITA).
2) Purchase your favorite components, Kuehl/Griffiths is preferred, however if you want something else then that is what it is. You don't have to install a new TEV or use an "R134a TEV" unless you know the previous TEV was defective.
944/951/968 TEV's seldom fail. And, the superheat setting on the stock TEV is perfect for R134a.
3) Install new Kuehl Compressor parts. Replace system o-rings.
Either install oil in the compressor or have it injected after evacuation.
4) Evacuate charge and test per the instructions.
5) A nice Father's Day presentation for sure.

Quick Reply: AC rehab after long drought