Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Portland, Salem, Vancouver people. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:06 AM
River
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portland, Salem, Vancouver people. Need help!

Here's the dilemma:

Ordered Konis. Installed Konis. (see post below about blown koni), and I've tried to get creative with an early model on my late.

Does anyone within, I dunno...50 miles of Portland tops have a LATE as in 944/2 Passenger side strut assembly (basically you're parting out the car, and you just removed it from the car without taking it all apart).

Can I please borrow or rent it from you until Koni gets back to me regarding my blown insert? Please and thanks! It could be days to weeks, and this is my daily. I would even owe you a personal favor (non sexual please!)

And, to pass forward knowledge from said fiasco:

Early and late struts are close, but not the same. Early has a different bolt up pattern (wider or narrower, can't remember but it's one of the two), then the late strut assembly. And, at the top of the tower assembly, there is a bolt or something that prevents it from being installed in the late strut tower housing. (the later mounts have this hole opened just for this reason).

You CAN however still do it, but it requires serious modification (both to the top of the strut tower and the bolt pattern). I'm not sure if the late assembly fits in the early car, I might test it out, but I'm assuming all the previously stated points stand, but in reverse).

Also, I have the modified strut. (hack job, cut job, however you want to call it.) To accept the koni sport inserts. After talking with a few early model having owners, we tried to take an early insert and toss it in the modded strut housing. It DOES fit for the height, but it's slightly more narrow than the 944/1 strut housing, so it moved around. Plus, it needs something to hold it down (bolt). 944/1 uses a type of cap screw to secure it in place. We prolly could've welded it, but...too much risk). So basically, nothing else will work but a koni).

Lesson learned. Hoping koni plays ball...this not driving is killing me smalls!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 PM
River
Racer

The bumpty dance is a dance we all can do...bump!

Anyone, anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

Just got off the phone with Fedex to see why the tracking doesn't show it's in Kentucky. "It's going to be late"

*sigh*

At least I can apply for a "credit"

Anyone have a passenger strut?!?!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Fintro11
Pro

Wish I could help.

Bump
Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 PM
haydenlewis
Advanced

Bumping for a good cause and to help out a good guy.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 PM
River
Racer

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Ironic that I saw nothing but late models being parted out around here months ago, NOW (especially when I need something), it's ALL EARLY stuff! LOL!

darn it!
Old 06-02-2012, 02:17 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All my spares are early at this point... actually surprises me as well. Thought I had a late strut or two in there but it must have already been claimed. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Portland, Salem, Vancouver people. Need help!