Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! 968 Emergency brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help!! 968 Emergency brake

I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

I just had my 94 968 shipped from MA-FLA with an enclosed carrier everyone knows.

The Dip S*** driver pulled the emergency brake handle so hard that I could barely release it. Now the RR is squealing like mad. I suspect the Ebrake pads are stuck. It's been a while since I've worked on these, as I remember the pads are inside the rotors. Of coarse i don't have any tools here/jack ect, but does anyone know if there is a way to release E brake from the under the car? Or does all have to come apart? If so, how do I get the rotor off with the stuck pads?

Thanks for any response/ advice

Rob

PS Anybody know any good mechanics to Fort Myers Area?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Squatting Ninja
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can back it off a little from the adjustment point near the lever which should give you enough slack to then release the ebrake normally.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

SN Thanks for the advice.

It's weird because I can easily push the car around the garage, but after driving around for a couple of minutes it starts to really squeal.

I will try the adjuster near brake lever thanks.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Recommend taking the rear hubs off, making sure the shoes are where they should be, springs properly in place. You may have a broken spring. If the rear wheels turn freely in your garage with the parking brake disengaged, your problem is not with its adjustment.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering
Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KevinGross
Recommend taking the rear hubs off, making sure the shoes are where they should be, springs properly in place. You may have a broken spring. If the rear wheels turn freely in your garage with the parking brake disengaged, your problem is not with its adjustment.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering
Thanks Kevin, this is exactly whats happening, I jacked the car and was able to spin the wheel easily by hand, and i could hear the faint sound of the squeal. Then I took it out for a ride and i didn't hear much for a couple minutes. Then it started again. I was moving around 30mph and I tried to see if the sound went away if I pulled the ebrake, the sound changed for sure but it didn't stop. I drove for 15 minutes, and the rotor didn't heat up at all. That reinforces the theory on the shoes not being stuck. Something metal/metal.

My guess is what you said that there is some spring or displaced shoe.

The reason SN suggested adjusting was to remove the rotor/hub if the shoes were really stuck. It's hard to remove rotor is the shoes are engaged.

I may have to find someone here to debug/fix I don't have any tools here on vacation.

Thanks very much for your input..

Rob

Quick Reply: Help!! 968 Emergency brake