Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed inspection

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:24 PM
SeaGull
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oxygen sensor loop is regulating, not good enough to pass inspection, and not bad enough to get fault code 23.
Today I found a simple way to measure how good the loop is working, I used a Fluke DMM with Min/Max/Avg function. See pics. One is for the 968, and one is for my winter car. The winter car is perfect 0.45 volt average.

The spark plugs are OK.

you can get a cheaper volvo afm for half the price of the porsche one. works great
Do you have a part#?

then induce a vacuume leak
If I remove the tank ventilation hose on the manifold (a 5mm vacum leak) the engine almost stops, and runs very lean, about 0.2V average voltage. What does that tell me?

DME thinks the air temperature is colder (denser) than it really is so need more fuel to go with it (MAF air temp sensor, NTC1, wrong
I think all calculations incl. temperature is integrated in the AFM. The output unit for the AFM is typical kg/h.

DME thinks the engine temperature is cold and that cold enrichment is called for (engine block temp sensor, NTC2, wrong
This is easy to test, just disconnect the sensor and the engine runs like warm, see Workshop manual.
Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaGull
The oxygen sensor loop is regulating, not good enough to pass inspection, and not bad enough to get fault code 23.
Today I found a simple way to measure how good the loop is working, I used a Fluke DMM with Min/Max/Avg function. See pics. One is for the 968, and one is for my winter car. The winter car is perfect 0.45 volt average.

The spark plugs are OK.

Do you have a part#?

If I remove the tank ventilation hose on the manifold (a 5mm vacum leak) the engine almost stops, and runs very lean, about 0.2V average voltage. What does that tell me?

I think all calculations incl. temperature is integrated in the AFM. The output unit for the AFM is typical kg/h.

This is easy to test, just disconnect the sensor and the engine runs like warm, see Workshop manual.
Averaging filter is a good idea. Thanks for that. Reading jumps around too much when measuring straight VDC I take it.

Yep, MAF sensors compensate for temperature and actually do measure mass as you say. Sorry, was thinking AFM there for a minute.

Glad ruling out cold enrichment will be so easy.

'Spark plugs are OK' meaning not too sooty?

How's your search for a known good MAF coming ? :-)
Recall that is what it took to fix the high CO on my C4...

Quick Reply: Failed inspection