Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think my timing belt job has gone bad... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure about TDC, and did use a flywheel lock - also checked flywheel position (with both the notch down below and the OT mark visible through that hard-to-spot window in front of the firewall) after I adjusted the camshaft - but before I try and pull the head off I will do as you suggest and get hold of a compression tester to have a proper look at that.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM
zogster
Pro

Got hold of a compression tester today, and I'm getting nothing on any of the cylinders...

On the bright side, I finally figured out where a minor post-belt job coolant leak was coming from.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another way to check TDC is to remove spark plug #1 and drop a long wooden down into the cylinder and watch it rise and fall as you rotate the crank back and forth a little. By watching the dowel rise and fall you find the top of the piston stroke. This will get you in the ball park - then look at the flywheel marks and see if they are the same as the marks you set your timing to.
A better way would be to do this with a dial indicator. That's what I do because I can never find the flywheel TDC marks.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM
zogster
Pro

I actually haven't found the flywheel marks too bad - especially now I've dabbed some white paint on to highlight the lower bellhousing one. And once that's lined up I can actually see the OT mark up top as long as I use a torch.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM
zogster
Pro

OK, so I finally got the head off.

Looks like four bent intake valves, but I think the exhaust valves are OK.

Could be worse I guess... and at least from here on in I'm putting the thing back together again rather than trying to get to the bottom of things. (Well, give or take replacing 4 valves or tracking down a new head with valves)

ps. is rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) OK to test the exhaust valves with - ie. pour a little into the outside of the head, leave it and see if any leaks through. I know brake cleaner is recommended for this, but I figure isopropanol should be just fine
Attached Images     

Last edited by zogster; 05-07-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added bit about rubbing alcohol

Quick Reply: Think my timing belt job has gone bad... need advice