Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light help.....or just for a laugh.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light help.....or just for a laugh.

So here we go. If you have any suggestions (other than check the flux capacitor) please make them.

This all started when one of the four bulbs in the IFC hatch third brake light went out. They are real small and after searching at the usual places (Autozone, O'reilys, Advance, Home Depot, Radio Shack etc etc) I decided that the 25 year old lighting system might need an update.

So I ordered a couple of 8" long LED white lights from ebay (hey they were only $6 with shipping so why not try them).

They came in yesterday and I took the old lights out and the LEDs actually fit nicely without having to modify the housing.

Wired them up (feeling pretty happy with myself about this point) and they didn't work. Yes I tested them before wiring them up, they had worked great.

So while trying to solve this little speedbump I noticed my driver side brake light had stopped working. (Well thats kind of wierd) No big deal. Now after going back to the lights this afternoon I got the third brake light to work for about 10 seconds, then the passenger side brake light also stopped working.

Have checked the fuses, checked the bulbs, check the wiring and ran out of ideas. No fire going to the bulb housings on either side. No brake lights at all.

So after getting off one boot (still have the other on) I decided to stop and share my latest 944 adventure with you guys to give you a laugh, and maybe, hopefully you will have mercy and offer some advice.

Of course had I known this was going to go this badly I would have been working on them this morning instead of playing with the corvette....I think I made the 944 jealous.

Michael
Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM
kingston944
Racer

brake light switch maybe?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like brake light switch or it's connector.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

I considered that, but that wouldn't have caused one side to stop working and then the other. But I will check it first thing in the morning. Thanks guys.

Any other ideas folks?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest doing a resistance/continuity check on the brake cables from the brake switch to the rear lights. I'm thinking you may have a cooked wire.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:26 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fara
I would suggest doing a resistance/continuity check on the brake cables from the brake switch to the rear lights. I'm thinking you may have a cooked wire.
Brake switch is intact and connected.

Will check the continuity Fara this afternoon thanks.

michael
Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
pops 83 944
Racer

Check you fuses, I had to move my fuses to get my left light to
Start working on my 83!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:39 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbo encabulator
Old 04-05-2012, 12:47 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pettybird
turbo encabulator
I checked that right before I checked the flux capacitor since they are located right next to each other.

Any other ideas?

Michael
Old 04-05-2012, 12:49 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pops 83 944
Check you fuses, I had to move my fuses to get my left light to
Start working on my 83!
Fuses checked already. They were checked after the turbo encabulator and flux capacitor. But will pull and check them again and clean the posts.

michael
Old 04-05-2012, 01:09 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there water in your tail light housings?
I second the "check continuity" suggestion, and watch for high resistance if there is continuity. My brake light wiring is on its way out, too, and my voltage gauge actually dips when I step on the brake!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Grounds?

Perhaps the four horseman are inside your car somewhere?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:06 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Is there water in your tail light housings?
I second the "check continuity" suggestion, and watch for high resistance if there is continuity. My brake light wiring is on its way out, too, and my voltage gauge actually dips when I step on the brake!
No water in the tail light housings, stopped that a couple of months ago by puting new sealant around them.

Ok so that I am clear, what exactly am I looking for when you say high resistance? I am a more caveman than Einstein when it comes to electrical issues.

michael
Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excuse me a little because i cannot be bothered reading the whole thread. read your post (most of it) just tired lol!

but have you tried hitting the light cover with your palm outside the car? mine turns on when i do that which means it's a contact issue with the lights.
easy fix can be sand paper and clean the contacts in the holders.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:52 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Continuity first. Hook a meter to the light unit and have someone push the pedal. Each light unit. Follow the wiring of the defective unit and remove/clean all connections and all grounds. I like dielectric grease on reassembly, but some don't agree. Your choice. Check with meter again. Trace it back towards the switch and clean that too. Try contact cleaner, my preferred method over dismantling. Check the grounds there, too. While you are on a roll with the cleaner, spray the headlight stalk and the wiper stalk too, work them back and forth while you spray - these are stone-age simple switches and if yours is like mine, your switches are dirty too. You probably should disconnect the battery so you don't traumatize your electrics when you work the switches. Results are terrific. Try it on your power windows one day too. If you've ever owned Volvos you know what I mean!

A comment on contact cleaner - these old switches like the kind with lubricant, otherwise the switch feels "skritchy" (technical term). Don't use the lubricated one on electronics, just switches.

Quick Reply: Brake light help.....or just for a laugh.