Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy idea Cab for S or S2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:45 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crazy idea Cab for S or S2?

Friday morning daydreaming.

I love my cab, but have zero interest in tracking it, as it is..well a cab. I've toyed with the idea, and watch the local classifieds for an S or S2 driveline that I could swap in. (I can do the swap myself in my garage) It seems that I would have to buy a whole car just so I can get all that I need, so instead of buying a whole car just for a swap, why don't I just sell/trade the cab for a nice S or S2 (no more turbo's for me. Been there Done that). Much easier than wrenching for more than a few weekends.

I just bought a stock n/a for a dd, and am really having fun with it, so the cab is strictly a weekend toy now. (I get my Porsche Fix everyday now)

Any thoughts? Driveline swap or swap the whole car? As a consideration, I have spend a ton of money on the cab, and it is mehcanically in awsome shape, fully capable of long distance drives with out a care.
The cab is a great cruiser, but could use some more punch. Having a coupe with more punch, and I'd likely get back out to the track (I've been tracking/racing cars for 20years, and have only stopped recently)
Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
Any thoughts? Driveline swap or swap the whole car? As a consideration, I have spend a ton of money on the cab, and it is mehcanically in awsome shape, fully capable of long distance drives with out a care.
The cab is a great cruiser, but could use some more punch. Having a coupe with more punch, and I'd likely get back out to the track (I've been tracking/racing cars for 20years, and have only stopped recently)
Just buy a nice condition S2, swap a test pipe and 951 cat-back onto it and go like hell. Dougs951 did that and I honestly enjoy driving that car at least as much as I like my 951. The instant power delivery is awesome and it sounds like a dream.

As far as doing a swap, I've been there and done that. I currently have an S2 engine that came with a car attached to it. Just wanted the engine for a future 16V 3L turbo build. You definitely hit the nail on the head, you'll need so many small parts, brackets, S/S2 specific stuff that you could buy an S2 for the cost of sourcing some of this stuff plus the initial engine cost.

The nicest part is that for whatever reason S2s aren't holding their value relative to the 968. There are a few very nice examples for sale right now around $5k or less. Makes it hard to say no...
Old 03-23-2012, 12:00 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

I agree, but there are no S2's around me for under $8k Most are in the 10-12K range. (I've been watching for a year now) I'd love a trade, but hard to imagine an S2 owner wanting to trade down in performance. (cool looking cab not withstanding). Even cabs in my area are only fetching a tiny bit more, than an S2.
I would have to look to importing a US car, but I'd have to sell the cab first, or my wife would buy a gun and shoot me if I had three Porsches in the driveway! I'm pushing my luck with two as it is..hehe
Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
I agree, but there are no S2's around me for under $8k Most are in the 10-12K range. (I've been watching for a year now) I'd love a trade, but hard to imagine an S2 owner wanting to trade down in performance. (cool looking cab not withstanding). Even cabs in my area are only fetching a tiny bit more, than an S2.
I would have to look to importing a US car, but I'd have to sell the cab first, or my wife would buy a gun and shoot me if I had three Porsches in the driveway! I'm pushing my luck with two as it is..hehe
And thus the age-old conundrum, to get the next car you must first sell the previous one, leaving you car-less for a while. I don't have the first clue how difficult it is to import a US car to Canada but there are some excellent examples here going for incredibly cheap. As both a coupe and cab owner, I can say that I love the drop-top motoring on a lazy sunny afternoon but every time I drive my coupe it's always in-anger. Completely different personalities that suit the design and intent of each.

Quick Reply: Crazy idea Cab for S or S2?