Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a Price Check 87 924S...Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Price Check 87 924S...Auto

Ok, Ok I know it would be another auto but help me get a base to start from if I decide to even go look at it.

I got a call from a friend about this car, conversation started with me answering his phone call and first thing I hear before I said "hello" was "I found you another Porsche". So here we go again...

This is what he told me:

Car looks solid and completely stock, will need a good wash and detail along with a fairly sizable bill from one of my client's paintless dent removal shops. Non-Porsche brand crappy door guards (they were thin he said, not like the ones on our 944s are). Due to the car needing to be cleaned he could not get a good look at if the car had any paint fading. Car did not look like it had been hit.

3 speed Auto, phone dials, have no idea of option codes as I have not seen the trunk mat and he did not open the car up.

Said it looked like 65,XXX or 68, XXX miles, couldn't see well with the black interior. So for the purposes of our estimate let's call it 67,000. No idea of service history. I am going to assume it had regular service but belts etc. would need to be done, fluids flushed, so it will need some time and $.

He didn't tell me what color it was but I am going to assume red/black/white. If it was a really different color he's the type that would have said something.

Can you give me two prices:

1) if mileage is accurate

2) if mileage is not accurate

and anything else you may want to note. It sounds like this car has been around for a while but this is all the information I have.

Like I said I need a base to start from so that I don't walk into a trap.

When I bought my 944 it was much easier. Extensive service, all records, knew the second owner, so it was a done deal. I am flying somewhat blind here.

Also is the 3 speed auto in this car the same as the 3 speed in my '89 944 Auto? Or is it still a 924 auto box stuck on the 944 engine. Don't crucify me if they are the same Lol, I never looked at a 924 before.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 924S has the same drivetrain as the 944, in 87 you get the lower compression engine (147hp). So the auto is going to be the same.

That said, if it has 67k, maybe 3,000?
If it has 167k (which is likely) 2,000? Being an auto makes it hard to say. Aim low and see what the guy will take.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:51 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way I could see that car bringing close to 3k would be if it had been garaged its entire life and had a perfect interior, paint, etc not to mention proper maint. I think your going to find it to be very difficult to resell a Auto 944. Unless it is a pristine example your going to get it and dump way more money into it than you will ever get back. Do you really want another Auto?

IMHO buying any auto 944 is walking into a trap unless it is what you truly want or you have plans to do a swap or part it.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:11 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luftpirate
Unless it is a pristine example your going to get it and dump way more money into it than you will ever get back.

IMHO buying any auto 944 is walking into a trap unless it is what you truly want
Judging from his current stable of jags and rovers neither may be an issue
(I say this in fun flat12. My father and friends have british cars as well)

I would probably pass on any auto 924/44, not because it isn't a good car but because there are plenty with a proper manual to choose from. If you have reasons for wanting/needing the auto go ahead, just do so knowing I may be harder to sell.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should also note that the 924s has thin black door guards OEM:

Old 03-22-2012, 05:16 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

The only way I could see that car bringing close to 3k would be if it had been garaged its entire life and had a perfect interior, paint, etc not to mention proper maint. I think your going to find it to be very difficult to resell a Auto 944. Unless it is a pristine example your going to get it and dump way more money into it than you will ever get back. Do you really want another Auto?

IMHO buying any auto 944 is walking into a trap unless it is what you truly want or you have plans to do a swap or part it.
Oh, I don't really want another auto either, but if the money is right and the car is all original with no mods, that's what I would like to see on a car like this. My old stuff tends to stay stock/original unless it makes the car safer or easier for me to drive. I'm a tiny guy, so for example while I liked the original wheel in my 944, I went to a momo so I could see the gauges better and also have a better grip on the wheel. Car is much more responsive to my tiny hands now.

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
Judging from his current stable of jags and rovers neither may be an issue
(I say this in fun flat12. My father and friends have british cars as well)

I would probably pass on any auto 924/44, not because it isn't a good car but because there are plenty with a proper manual to choose from. If you have reasons for wanting/needing the auto go ahead, just do so knowing I may be harder to sell.
I'd definitely rather have a manual anything. And this would only be another pickup for "fun" for me. My next true sports car purchase is going to be more expensive and faster. I'm never getting rid of my 944, but I may get rid of some other cars.

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
I should also note that the 924s has thin black door guards OEM
That's exactly what he described. I didn't think they made one so thin.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:38 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

In short ditto.

I owned a auto '83 944 (my first). Owned by the same female lawyer in Austin it's whole life. EVERY scrap of paperwork (including wiper changes) came with the car. The trannys are much harder to find (more $$$ to replace) and will fail alot more often. I have now put ALOT more miles on my manual '86 with no (knock on wood) tranny problems. The tranny in the auto was a nightmare. More than once. I keep a spare manual tranny in my shop for my current 944. If you go down this road, I advise getting the auto 924s as cheap as possible, part it out and keep the auto tranny as the reserve for your 944. I predict you will need it sooner rather than later. If done right, you will recoup your price paid for the 924s by selling off everything else, learn about the cars by parting the 924s out, and end up with a spare tranny for 'free'.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

michael

Quick Reply: Need a Price Check 87 924S...Auto