Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floor mat restoration thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Floor mat restoration thread

I have rescently refurbished the 928 mats with this process and was very pleased with the results so I thought I would document it this time on some 944 mats. As you can see these are in pretty bad shape but I am confident they will turn out good. First step is to wash well and dry. I just used a lot of scrubing in the bath tub with finger tips and a soft brush. One thing for a good result is to really focus on the lettering. Scrub it well and it will brighten up like new. At least mine did anyway. Drying and sowing comes next. It does help if you have a wife that will sow for you. The final step to the end product is applying truck bed liner to get the backing firmed up and back in the stiff shape it should maintain. It also gives your car that new car smell which is kind of nice. I would not do this with a poor qaulity mat but good Porsche mats clean up nice. I have ordered Lloyd mats from Pelican before and am very impressed with them. This is just a way to save a few bucks and get another few years out of old mats. This might also be a good way to keep your new mats good for weekends and use the refurbished mats for DD'ing.
Attached Images     

Last edited by rgs944; 03-20-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics of after truck liner sprayed?

The back sides of mine look like in your second picture - only worse... It's shredding to the point where it leaves all kind of powder under it.

Lately I've been using my mom's extra buick rendezvous floor mats. They're tan and don't match the black interior but fit PERFECT.

Might have to try your technique, thanks for posting
Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 PM
rgs944
Drifting

I will post pics along the way and when finished, they need to dry over the next few days. The hang drying seems to straighten them out nice before the truck bed liner is applied.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

I did something similar a few months back to an exact set of these mats (the 944 fitment obviously) that I got for free.

I own an oreck rug cleaner with shampoo brushes and nap lifter attachments (used to work for an oriental rug merchant running his shop and cleaning division for private clients and then went out on my own on the cleaning end).

My mats were in good shape, but the backs, while solid were a little powdery. I would try the bed liner stuff but I am a little hesitant because my main carpets are linen. I laid the mats out overnight on on a towel on our kitchen floor (my machine does wet the carpet thoroughly but doesn't soak it). If you want to speed it up lay them flat on the driveway in the sun.

My biggest problem now is deciding whether to use red sharpie/prismacolor marker to brighten up the letters or just go get bright red dye and be careful. The black pops well against the linen even though they are not jet black anymore, but the letters need more pop. I just put these in for the first time the other day actually. Just have to watch the existing backing on me so it doesn't make a mess.

Did yours come with the snap clips/belts? Mine did but I don't know how to attach them.

Last edited by flat12boxer; 03-21-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Mine have the clips! I, too, don't know what to do with them
Old 03-21-2012, 03:56 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Someone should start a thread on how to use those clips, I just figured they were more of a pain than they would be worth. As far as the bed liner the stuff dries so hard I don't think it can ever liquify again to hurt the capret underneath but that's easy for me to say I have black carpet. The 928 mats have had a few weeks to dry so I will take white cloth and see if I can get any to rub off on it. It seems to dry at just the right consititancy, dries hard and firm but still soft enough to bend but not crack. It really seems to mimick the original backing nicely.

Last edited by rgs944; 03-21-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 AM
River
Racer

Which clips? The oem or the new ones from llyod's?

The llyod's you just unroll it, clip it to the mat, take the metal T hook thing, push your seat back, twist...shove in rail...twist to flat (so it won't pull up), slide down rail. Adjust on mat tight.

Done.

Honestly, if you have the new lloyd mat. that sob won't move with the rubber coating underneath. So, I just laid my passenger side under the oem clips and it looks great. I kept the driver clipped for safety, but...meh. I don't think it's gunna move and will prolly remove the clip since it bulges the carpet.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:10 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

RGS, thanks for posting, I think I might try your truck bed liner idea.

I like the clips. Without them, my floor mats gradually move forward from people's feet pushing them, but with the clips, they never move. Floor mats being out of position is actually a peeve of mine, so using the clips lets me relax and focus on other things, like passengers slamming my doors with way too much force. Ugh.

Quick Reply: Floor mat restoration thread