Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 PM
szabon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about turn signals

I have an 86 951, and I am wondering about the turn signals. When you turn them on, do the red lights under them (in the back) blink with them? Mine do, and I am having some weird issues with the turn signals and parking lights/headlights...
Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 AM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, after a while those control columns can start to go and cause a lot of problems. I'm not saying it's that, but it is a possibility. I'd start by removing the rear cover of the tail lights and double checking that both bulbs are in fact lighting up when you hit your turn signal. After you check your blinkers I'd also turn on your hazard lights and see if you get the same result. Look for any corrosion as sometimes those tail lights can get moisture/water in them and also look for any broken or worn connections back there. As far as headlight issues, check the wiring harnesses directly behind the headlight assemblies and again check for any broken or worn connections.

When I first got my '44 the brights had to be on for my headlights to work. Then one day I got my headlights to come on but then my brights wouldn't work. I racked my brain, did research, and tried everything in the book, it ended up being one wire that the insulation had worn off of and it was grounding out on the headlight housing. Go figure! It's kinda hard to diagnose the issue you're having without more description or information, any more details would be nice. Do some checking around and some inspection and let us know the results. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Wiring/electrical issues on cars (and not just these) are akin to Alice chasing the White Rabbit down the rabbit hole. I agree that the steering column ring that holds the turn signal issues, but the headlight issues typically lie elsewhere. There are replacment rings frequently available on ebay but buyer beware. Make sure also that if you buy one that it comes off the same year car. There are subtle differences in them that I didn't realize until I installed a Momo steering wheel and the horn wiper didn't fit the ring on the back and had to be modified. There's reputable parts guys in Norcross, GA (Josh) and in Kentucky and Southern Ohio whom you can find on their local Craiglistings who I trust. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:00 AM
szabon
Racer

Ok. Here is the issue I am having. When I got the car, the turn signals worked fine until I turned on the parking lights and headlights. When this happened, no turn signal, no e-flasher, nothing. I looked at the car and with the headlights/parking lights on, all the turn signals all over the car would be on as well. I then noticed that with the headlights/parking lights off and a turn signal on, the taillight and turn signal, and all the parking lights up front on that side would blink at the same time. also, with lights off, when i do the t/s both flashers on the dash flash. don't know if this is normal or not.

I replaced the flasher relay, nothing.

I replaced the headlight switch, and then i got something weird. At first when I turned on the parking lights, t/s would not work. Then when I turned on headlights and turned back down to parking lights, only the left one worked. Then I turned off the car, played with the emergency flasher button (took it out, tried the t/s, put it back in, etc) and i tried the t/s again, and the left side works fine! right side is still only working with lights off. looked at the outside of the car, and now with parking lights/headlights, no lights are on the left side (except the headlight and foglight) and the right side is the same as before. When the leftside blinkers go on, the do the same thing where they blink everything on the left side except headlight and foglight.

Also, if i turn the car off now, and turn on a turn signal, the right side stays on (which is normal I know), but the left side does nothing. I put on the old headlight switch, and the symptoms did not change. left side working with lights, but no tailights and such, right side only with lights off, everything.

I took out the tailights to see if they are affecting anything, no change. I am going to take out the front parking lights today and see what is up.

Any suggestions? I have the whole driverside dash apart, no steering wheel, turn signal switch, headlight switch, everything dangling trying to figure this one out. So FRUSTRATING!!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:49 PM
szabon
Racer

SOLVED IT!!! after taking everything apart, ordering new switches and relays, I found it. The po put in clear turn signals up front, and he put in clear bulbs. But he put in one filament bulbs instead of the two, and he shoved them in there. So, I put the original yellow, two filament bulbs in, and viola! fixed! When the headlights come on, they are supposed to light up the lower filament in these bulbs and keep them on constantly, but since it was only one, power got thrown over to the turn signal circuit and turned these on, so it could not blink. The reason it started working on the left side, was because the left side parking lot fuse blew, cutting the power off of this section, and letting the turn signals blink away!

I can turn signal at night now!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 AM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Nothin like a little tinkering. Glad you figured it out man!

Quick Reply: Question about turn signals