Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel leak at pressure regulator -- early car

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:17 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Fuel leak at pressure regulator -- early car

I have a fuel leak at the hose where it connects to the pressure regulator with a screw clamp. The hose is obviously cracked from the outside. My car is an '84 which has an entirely different hose layout than the later cars.

I plan to take it to the shop to repair since I feel really uneasy doing fuel injection repairs even though I've done the water pump and timing belt. I don't have any experience doing hose repairs.

From my research in the archives, there are two methods of fixing this leak: (1) dremel or hack-saw off the fitting (?) and install a new hose with clamp, or (2) replace the entire fuel line which appears to require dropping the rear suspension ($$$). I'll probably want to replace the other line as well.

My car has 150K miles and is a bit ragged -- clear coat is peeling and has a few dents, but I plan to keep it for a while.

Assuming the shop would want to replace the entire line and won't do the easier option, is it worth it on this car? The expensive is not necessarily a problem for me, but I wonder if it makes financial/repair sense or do I find another shop who would do the second type of repair (if anyone can be found at all whom I trust)?

I guess what I'm asking is, would I look ridiculous in replacing the entire line?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:28 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Why would you Dremel off a screw clamp? Can't you turn the screw? That notwithstanding, you don't have to replace the entire fuel line. Threre's a good article on Rennbay.com about replacing just the rubber lines. Go to: porsche 944 fuel line replacement on Google.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought it was on the other side of the fuel line where the hose meets the hard-line, where I would have to dremel off the fitting.

Anyways, you can see that I am not confident about replacing it myself.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have fuel line kits for both types of early cars. They use compression fittings to the hard lines and replace just the rubber sections.

http://www.rennbay.com/fuel-hose-rep...ate-p-147.html
Old 03-14-2012, 02:59 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I saw that and asked the shop about the Rennbay kit. They just replaced a single leaking fuel line using their own solution for $100. I think they mentioned it used compression fittings and they said they'd used it many times on other cars. I will try to upload a pic when I get the car back.

Quick Reply: Fuel leak at pressure regulator -- early car