Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What spring rates are included in KW V3 full kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:24 AM
kbull
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What spring rates are included in KW V3 full kit?

Does anyone know what springs come installed on the KW V3 full coilover kits out there?

I'm also looking for suggestions of what spring rates to use for my S2. I currently have 18" wheels with 245/35 front and 285/30 rear tires. Looking at getting full coilovers, front and rear 968 MO30 sway bars, and deleting the torsion bars.

What do you guys think? I really want to do this right and do it all in one shot. I'm looking for a spirited street setup with an acceptable ride and very little body roll. Would love some suggestions!

Thanks
Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

You choose your own spring rates when you order on KW's and most coilover set-ups. There is no "one size fits all" solution. Save your money, coilovers are a total waste of money on a street car. You can build a great handling S2 street car with just a change in springs, sways and tb's. The great advise on Clarks Garage is still relevant today:

Sport Suspension

A good sport suspension setup for a car that is primarily driven on the street might include 220 lb. front springs, 27 mm torsion bar, 30 mm front sway bar, and 19 mm rear sway bar. Personally, I like a car that has very neutral steering characteristics. If you prefer to maintain the understeering characteristics of the stock 944, you might prefer a 26 mm sway bar to the 27 mm. If you prefer a car that oversteers, you might choose a 28 mm torsion bar. Just realize that a car that oversteers is much more sensitive to steering corrections and can you into trouble during a panic maneuver. With regards to the sway bars, I really like the 968 M030 sway bars. The reason I like them is that the 19 mm rear bars are 3-way adjustable which give you another option when it comes to changing the steering characteristics.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:03 PM
944meister
Pro

Originally Posted by MAGK944
coilovers are a total waste of money on a street car.
blasphemy eliminating the torsion bars makes things alot simpler; i prefer to just turn a spanner wrench rather than drop the entire rear suspension just to reindex the torsion bars if you dont get the ride height correct the first time. small increases in spring rates are not going to eliminate the excessive weight transfer you get when shifting and braking hard with the stock setup, i HATE the the transfer when shifting the most. when i buy coilovers soon, i am going for #300 up front and would never go below #250. check out Gaz coilovers, they are very simular to the leda coilovers and dont cost an arm and a leg, there are a few threads on them if you search.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 944meister
blasphemy eliminating the torsion bars makes things alot simpler; i prefer to just turn a spanner wrench rather than drop the entire rear suspension just to reindex the torsion bars if you dont get the ride height correct the first time. small increases in spring rates are not going to eliminate the excessive weight transfer you get when shifting and braking hard with the stock setup, i HATE the the transfer when shifting the most. when i buy coilovers soon, i am going for #300 up front and would never go below #250. check out Gaz coilovers, they are very simular to the leda coilovers and dont cost an arm and a leg, there are a few threads on them if you search.
Up to you but have you driven in a 944 with 300# front springs and matching 550# rear coil springs on the street? It's a really jarring ride. Stay below 80% stiffer than stock, 220-250 range and you'll have a great handling street car.

The only advantage to coilovers is that you can adjust height on the fly and corner balance which are both not required on a street car. Once you adjust a street car to the correct setting there is no need to adjust it ever again, so coilovers are useless 99% of the time. On the track different story.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

KWV3 are front 340, rear 285. I doubt they will be too hard on the street as they have clever shock valving (better than Koni yellow). I'm running 350F, 225R + tbars with Koni yellows and I don't think they are too stiff at all. By contrast the stock suspension is hopelessly soft. The KWV3s are designed to work with the stock t bars in standard form.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 PM
kbull
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I know I could easily just go with stiffer springs, but I am strongly looking at the KW's because I've only heard positive reports from them and everyone talks about their valving technology. I'd much rather pay more for a great-performing suspension and be happy with it than settle short and wish I had more. At the end of the day, I really just want to get rid of the awful body roll and slow turn-in I have now with koni shocks and stock springs.

Eric, thanks for those numbers. I have looked for a source that allows you to select your spring rates in the order form, but so far I have had none. If anyone knows of a discount source that allows one to select their own spring rates, I'd love a link!

Quick Reply: What spring rates are included in KW V3 full kit?