Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool bag for the 944 what's in yours?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
You guys must drive crap examples of these cars

Once I caught up the maintenance I have not packed a single tool. Car has run fine for years

Have a couple of buddies that have daily driven these cars for 10 plus years and hundreds of thousands of miles that don't pack tool bags either.
I packed my list for a road trip but I've not once needed any of the tools. I use the pyrometer to check things every once in a while but that is it.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Andrewporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all of the above as well as a Dewalt 18V impact wrench and my low profile floor jack.. ( yes the handle unscrews ) and a full size spare.... was the hero when a 79 SC snapped a torsion bar during a PCA run....jacked her up..used by low profile 205-60-16 spare to limp her over 150 miles home..I always fill the rear with tools..
Old 03-09-2012, 12:59 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't pack anything during DD duty since i rarely go more than 200miles from home. For my upcoming road trip, i plan to follow the M73 plan of carrying the common sizes of wrenches/sockets and a few other things. At that point i feel like ill be able to deal with anything i need to on my 2300 mile trip.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:10 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Once I caught up the maintenance I have not packed a single tool. Car has run fine for years

Have a couple of buddies that have daily driven these cars for 10 plus years and hundreds of thousands of miles that don't pack tool bags either.
Sleep good tonight. You're going to be walking tomorrow.

(Actually, its kind of true. I use the tools in my car to work on other people's cars, more than my own..... Nice weather tomorrow. Perfect for a walk )
Old 03-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

I'm closer to this.

An iPhone 4 and AT&T's Roadside Assistance is all I need for my 10 mi. commute (tow never needed, no breakdowns yet). I bought $200 worth of stuff from AutoZone when I picked it up in Nashville and drove it back to Dallas last year some of you may remember- I basically needed none of it. Hasn't been out of town since! If it ever does, it'll only be to one of two tracks within an hour of the house. Though I do love that you only need a handful of tools to repair this car for most items. If I were driving back to Nashville (or wherever on a roadtrip), I'd take most of the previously mentioned precautions for sure in case.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:32 AM
Fintro11
Pro

The only thing i keep in my car is a jug of oil :P
Old 03-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Jrboulder
Rennlist Member

I find that I use the tools for other peoples stuff far more than I have ever used them for my own car. As a matter of fact I've only used a couple of wrenches on my 944.

I also really like tools
Old 03-09-2012, 03:15 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not worried about mechanical failures with the 924...instead i keep a roll of ducktape
Old 03-09-2012, 08:53 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andrewporsche
all of the above as well as a Dewalt 18V impact wrench and my low profile floor jack.. ( yes the handle unscrews ) and a full size spare.... was the hero when a 79 SC snapped a torsion bar during a PCA run....jacked her up..used by low profile 205-60-16 spare to limp her over 150 miles home..I always fill the rear with tools..
That isn't a sports car, that is a service truck
Old 03-09-2012, 10:12 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The tools my tool bag rarely get used. In fact I may hve never used them. I did have to make repairs once when a heater hose cracked on a Porsche club drive. I had just enough tools to repair it on site. I think that is one time in 15 years. Still these are old cars and should something happen...

I remember as kid my father had an Mercedes-Benz 1971 220. This was in the early mid 80's. Anyway we were driving along the car stared to overheat. My father being a Mercedes tech knew how to fix it, but lacked tools. Eventually some guy stopped and tried help. He had tools, but there were all standard. No metric tools and my father was still out. All he needed was a few simple tools for a quick fix. No tools. We did limp home, but I just remember driving in the summer time with heat on in the car trying to add some cooling. Tools were a must on an old car.

Then I remember towing to California and having the A/C compressor lock up on the dodge 2500. The issue was since it use a serpentine belt once the A/C locked up it damaged the belt too. We limped to LA and found an autoparts store and go luck to find a non a/c belt. Used the tools we had for supporting the race car to change the belt. Stil not A/C, but no risk of getting stranded now. Now we keep spare non a/c belt in the truck.
Point is you never know when you need tools and sometimes a simple hand tool is all you need to keep going vs getting stuck.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
Sleep good tonight. You're going to be walking tomorrow.

I have even done several track days with no tools. ( not race days)

99% of the things I see go wrong is parts that were in obvious need of attention in the first place (neglected) or abuse.

A properly maintained car rarely has issues that would require you to carry tools on a daily basis.

Don't get me wrong here. I take tools on long trips, all my motorcyles have their basic tool kits in them, when out 4wheeling I even have air tools. But the list of crap some people are carrying for daily driving is insane! That much extra weight and loose crap would kill the fun of driving these cars.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have even done several track days with no tools. ( not race days)

99% of the things I see go wrong is parts that were in obvious need of attention in the first place (neglected) or abuse.

A properly maintained car rarely has issues that would require you to carry tools on a daily basis.

Don't get me wrong here. I take tools on long trips, all my motorcyles have their basic tool kits in them, when out 4wheeling I even have air tools. But the list of crap some people are carrying for daily driving is insane! That much extra weight and loose crap would kill the fun of driving these cars.
Murphy's law for our cars (For me anyway) seems to be that, whenever you talk about how reliable they are, they break the next day lol.

I do agree with you. I keep my car well maintained, and its never left me walking. But it seems every time I say that, Jason at Paragon gets some of my money
Old 03-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you buy a 25 year old car.....

-New plugs,cap rotor and new wires, replace any and every hose under the hood if it does not look brand spanking new. Change the oil, brake and trans fluid. Change all belts, including the timing belt with water pump and associated rollers.

Check the fuses. Tires, brakes and clutch wear.

Check the ball joints and CV joints for any wiggle. If they wiggle, replace.

With these basics taken care of you should have a plenty reliable car to drive around with little to no issue. Obviously over time there are going to be other things to work on like tracking down the leaks and fixing them, updating shocks, fixing things like AC etc. Typically those don't leave you stranded though.

The things that leave you on the side of the road are typically the things that you could have fixed before they were a problem. Obviously there is the random case of something add going wrong on ANY car. But those are the exception rather than the rule.

99% of the stuff you can fix on the side of the road with these cars can be done with a screw driver, everything else is going to need more work.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:52 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Sure is a lot of extra weight in this thread

Quick Reply: Tool bag for the 944 what's in yours?