Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985.5 944 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 PM
mcnallyj
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1985.5 944 won't start

Hi everyone. I'm the proud new owner of a 1985.5 944. Like every other teen of the 80's, I dreamed of these cars from day one off the assembly line. I 'm in the process of restoring the car and thanks to this forum, I've been able to correct allot of issues. Currently, I'm trying to get the car to start and it just won't turn over. So far I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, DME relay, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, & battery. I do get tack bounce while cranking, so I believe that usually indicates the speed and reference sensors are not the problem. I unscrewed the end plug of the fuel rail (and by the way, no ball bearing!!!) and cranked the engine to see if I was getting fuel and nothing came out. So I obviously have a fuel delivery issue. Since I've replaced the fuel pump, filter, & dME relay, could it be an issue w/ the DME unit itself? Please help!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM
flightline
Instructor

Have you checked fuse 34? You should be getting battery voltage at the fuse when cranking. If not, I think it would have to be either the DME or the wiring, or possibly (hopefully not) a problem with the central electrical panel.

Also check the ground at the fuel pump.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 PM
mcnallyj
5th Gear

Thanks for the quick reply flightline! I did physically check the DME fuse and it looked fine. Just as a precaution I replaced it w/ the spare in the fuse panel. I will check the ground wire to the fuel pump. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Check the coil.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 PM
flightline
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimV8
Check the coil.
If there's no fuel pressure I don't see how that could possibly be the problem.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the DME relay is bad it can cause a no fuel pressure issue.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 PM
mcnallyj
5th Gear

Thanks again for everyones responses. I did replace the DME relay. I'm going to double check the connections on the fuel pump. I also pulled the DME unit, removed the cover and I'm going to split the two halfs and check for any cracks in the soder.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnallyj
Hi everyone. I'm the proud new owner of a 1985.5 944. Like every other teen of the 80's, I dreamed of these cars from day one off the assembly line. I 'm in the process of restoring the car and thanks to this forum, I've been able to correct allot of issues. Currently, I'm trying to get the car to start and it just won't turn over. So far I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, DME relay, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, & battery. I do get tack bounce while cranking, so I believe that usually indicates the speed and reference sensors are not the problem. I unscrewed the end plug of the fuel rail (and by the way, no ball bearing!!!) and cranked the engine to see if I was getting fuel and nothing came out. So I obviously have a fuel delivery issue. Since I've replaced the fuel pump, filter, & dME relay, could it be an issue w/ the DME unit itself? Please help!!!!!!

dear op,

yes, it's a very common first post here on the RL944 channel. and a Godsend for bringing in new RL944 forum members....

it's known as the 'i've changed out every electronic gizmo and the car still won't start' post...

welcome to the 944... unfortunately, Porsche is not building an updated wiring harness, alarm, DME and fuse box w/ assorted relays to help keep our cars on the road....

i have no idea what the problem could be. but it could be related to the alarm system. try bypassing the old alarm. its located in an area of the car that collects a lot of moisture (under the passenger footwell) and is problably fried.... and it's really a simple matter; when it goes bad, it will take down your DME. and when you change out the DME, it may fry that one too.

if that doesn't work get a tester and start searching for shorts.

good luck,

od.

p.s. look on the bright side. at least you're not attempting to revive an old E-type Jag or Sunbeam.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:35 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There should be a thread titled...."Just spent a Grand and only needed a jumper wire...and a few drinks"
Old 02-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, You might check out the below link as it gives a list of things to check. See post #3

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...tart-help.html

Cheers,
Larry
Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Does your tack wiggle at startup?

If not by some means or another you are not getting the reference signal to your DME.

If your DME has no power you will get this.
If you do not have timing correct you will get this
If your CPS is not functioning properly you will get this.

In our race cars -- its the first thing I check for when the car doesn't start.

You can also put a timing light on your ignition wires and see if you are getting spark.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM
flightline
Instructor

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Does your tack wiggle at startup?
From the OP:
I do get tack bounce while cranking. . .
I had forgotton about the alarm system. Check this out for instructions to bypass it and see if that fixes it:
http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-23.htm
Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
mcnallyj
5th Gear

I don't believe my car is equiped w/ an alarm but I'll double check. Another question, where are the grounds contacts located in the engine compartment. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mcnallyj
I don't believe my car is equiped w/ an alarm but I'll double check. Another question, where are the grounds contacts located in the engine compartment. Thanks.
Primary engine ground is located on the back of the Engine Bellhousing. Be careful not to drop the Bolt down the inspection hole to the flywheel... (tape the hole, or place a rag over it. there is also a chassis ground in the battery box. just follow the Negitive wires... I would suggest making up a new set of primary ground wires sooner than later. They all eventually fail.

Picture is looking down at rear of bellhousing. black wire is ground wire. Just to the Right (drivers side) is the hole to block off.
Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 PM
flightline
Instructor

Originally Posted by 944_S_TYPE
Primary engine ground is located on the back of the Engine Bellhousing. Be careful not to drop the Bolt down the inspection hole to the flywheel... (tape the hole, or place a rag over it. there is also a chassis ground in the battery box. just follow the Negitive wires... I would suggest making up a new set of primary ground wires sooner than later. They all eventually fail.

Picture is looking down at rear of bellhousing. black wire is ground wire. Just to the Right (drivers side) is the hole to block off.
Did you chop the speed/reference sensor cables? Are you running some kind of aftermarket engine management?

Quick Reply: 1985.5 944 won't start