Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof seal cheaper options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:49 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof seal cheaper options?

Is OEM the only place to get a new Sunroof seal? I am hoping to get my 951 back on the street and my sunroof still leaks so it will be needing a new seal. I was wondering if there was a cheaper option than OEM. If not then I will just put the order in for that.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 AM
sparkyman215
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know when I was looking around for one a few years ago I only found OEM. I ended up buying from pelican I think. My car was an 86 and it took them sending 3 seals before I got one that worked since the seal changed during 86. From your user name I am guessing this is for an 86 as well. I recommend you look at your vin and figure out the correct seal for you car. If I remember correctly the first two I tried were the early seals then I had them send me a late seal and that worked. It was a pain but they worked with me to get the correct one.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:13 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

You can get a seal for a few bucks cheaper from Vertex but in my experience it is worth buying the seal from Paragon. The Vertex seal would not allow the top to sit all the way down without extra force. All of the other Vertex seals that I bought worked out well however.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 AM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

My sunroof leaks too but it was never too bad and since my 944 leaks a lot of other places I just got used to water in the car. I'm currently on a vendetta against all my 44's small issues right now and I was going to permatex the body sunroof seal to see if that helps. I've looked closely at both of the seals and neither one looked cracked anywhere. I've watched at the water coming in and it seems to be leaking because of the inner seal on the body, so hopefully a little permatex will fix the problem. Before you spend your life savings on the OEM seal, I'd try permatex. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, it won't hurt to try though, just a suggestion. Good luck.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:52 AM
nasty9er
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have bin using alot of plasti-dip rubber spray the past few day and i really think this stuff might have more uses then one might think at first. it bonds well layers quick its cheap and one can goes a long way, if your seal has cracks in it maybe a few coat of rubber would seal it. the only thing with this stuff is what ever you taped off will need to be removed with a pen knife becouse the rubber will seal the tape in as well

hope something works out for you
Old 03-03-2012, 05:04 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My outer sunroof seal has started to come apart. This is an early car - there are two parts, for early and late. Anyhow, the seal is made from an inner part which clips to the sunroof and carries a rubber gasket, and an outer gasket which is fabric wrapped around a tube, which is then attached to the inner part. This is the part that's started come away with mine.

So, what I intend to do is replace the outer piece, reglueing/sealing a fabric strip around the original tube. I just need to figure out what kind of fabric it is.

The inside bit should really never rot - so this might be a way to keep these seals going.

The only thing to work out is what type of fabric the outer seal is made from.

Quick Reply: Sunroof seal cheaper options?