Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris Walrod front control arm bushing tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s14kev
I should have the control arms in this week. Since the struts, tie rods and spindles are out I can check for binding with just the control arm bolted up and post a video.
Thanks Kevin, that would be great...(to stop the wheels from turning inside my head).

Old 03-03-2012, 02:43 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Installed front control arms with the Chris Walrod front bushings and rear monoball caster blocks. Control arm will move through a full normal range of motion smoothly without binding and will do so for the full range of settings for the caster eccentric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP9Zq...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing to get excited about there, that's very smooth.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Anyone know how to embed the video so that it pops up as a little box inside my post?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:03 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't get the embed code to work, either.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The man with experience is never at the mercy of the man with a theory

Last edited by m73m95; 03-04-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robstah
That video shows me as much as rolling an unmounted wheel over paint to show me contact patch.
I am sorry that the video does not show you much. A request was made for a video to show whether binding occurs with these bushings. I took my time to take and post the video just to try to help them out. I do not sell these bushings and in the spirit of the forums am just trying to give my review and opinion. If there is anything that would help you then please let me know.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Kev,

I too am not fully understanding the "binding" comments that were made. Your video cannot confirm the continued smooth motion under load but I doubt there is a way to prove that. I appreciate your time and efforts in trying to resolve this issue and until proven otherwise, I will continue my plans to install these.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM
dykaar
Racer

The issue isn't whether there is binding for a given castor setting, but whether there is binding if you try to max out the castor. I found that with the Fabcar control arms and front (delrin) bushing, I was unable to dial up much castor before I got binding. I ended up leaving it set for no binding.

Regards,

doug

86 951 (http://www.pcaucr.org/visuals/photos...egory&catid=61)
01 E320 (W210) 4matic Wagon (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...body-do-2.html)
00 540i-6 (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hp?albumid=976)
94 855 turbo Wagon (sold in 09)
85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
76 300D (sold in 92)
83 944 (sold in 86)
I apparently only buy cars designated by numbers
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
Kev,

I too am not fully understanding the "binding" comments that were made. Your video cannot confirm the continued smooth motion under load but I doubt there is a way to prove that. I appreciate your time and efforts in trying to resolve this issue and until proven otherwise, I will continue my plans to install these.

Thanks!
I don't believe that under load it will be any different. The rear caster block takes the most punishment under load as the front bushing mostly acts as the center of rotation when the car is rolling. If I felt these bushings were inadequate, I would not have installed them. Cost was not really a huge issue and I would have forked out for monoballs if necessary. The people posting with their valid concerns forget that polyurethane is not rigid. They seem to believe that the polyurethane is a solid substance with no give. Urethane is produced in different levels of hardness. On a shore A durometer scale it does not come near the hardness of a solid steel bush or even delrin. It does accomodate for some deflection. This is also why urethane is not as noisy as solid bushings. Urethane is a middle ground between rubber and solid. The main difference is rubber grips components and deforms to accomodate for rotation around an axis. Urethane does not and relies on sliding lubrication between the rotating urethane and the immobile part (in this case the steel sleeve).

Originally Posted by dykaar
The issue isn't whether there is binding for a given castor setting, but whether there is binding if you try to max out the castor. I found that with the Fabcar control arms and front (delrin) bushing, I was unable to dial up much castor before I got binding. I ended up leaving it set for no binding.

Regards,

doug
Thanks Doug! Exactly. The main issue is if binding occurs within the range of caster adjustment available. In this case, with these bushings, binding does not occur within the range of caster adjustment provided by the rear eccentric. We are talking about a few degrees here. Not something that has to deal with 20 or 30 degrees of deflection along its axis. All bushings/bearings will bind given enough deflection. Rubber will not cope with 20-30 degrees in this location. Neither will spherical bearings as the bearing shell will bind on its pivot. Fortunately, within its parameters of operation, the front bushing would never have to deal with a great degree of deflection.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:54 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How much castor did you put in before you made that video, Kev?

If its set to the max, I can't see how being installed would be any different. The castor block is solid, and does take the brunt of force when turning/braking. That's why Porsche recommended everyone switch up to the 968 block when upgrading the 944 suspension.

I don't see anything wrong with the video. Will there be a little flexing under load, of course. But, with how easy the control arm moves with no load, there is no way its going to get in a bind when loaded. If it is, then your suspension is moving around WAY to much, and you have other problems.

Rather than bashing his video, why doesn't someone counter with some evidence showing otherwise.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Very wise Panda.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m73m95
How much castor did you put in before you made that video, Kev?

If its set to the max, I can't see how being installed would be any different. The castor block is solid, and does take the brunt of force when turning/braking. That's why Porsche recommended everyone switch up to the 968 block when upgrading the 944 suspension.

I don't see anything wrong with the video. Will there be a little flexing under load, of course. But, with how easy the control arm moves with no load, there is no way its going to get in a bind when loaded. If it is, then your suspension is moving around WAY to much, and you have other problems.

Rather than bashing his video, why doesn't someone counter with some evidence showing otherwise.
Caster is set to the maximum amount since that is how much I will run when installed.

Since everyone wants to be scientific, lets work out how many degrees of deflection the front bush will undergo. The front and rear inboard mounts on the control arms are 300mm apart. The caster eccentric allows for 12mm of adjustment from a neutral position to maximum caster. This means the axis of deflection for the front bush from neutral to max is 2 degrees. I can't see how anyone would be worried about binding in this situation.

Have a look again at the Weltmeister red urethane bushings that have been available for many years. Many have run red Welts. Binding has never been an issue with them and thus should not be an issue with Chris' bushings. The issue is the lack of a sleeve which allows the edge of the control arm to cut into the urethane with the welts. Also since the pivot point is just the diameter of the bolt, load is applied over a much smaller area to the central portion of the bush. Maintaining the sleeve spreads this load over a much larger surface area. Chris' bushings basically do the same as the Welts do (which never did bind) but just with improved survivability.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue is the lack of a sleeve
So these would be ok (and cheap) then?

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 AM
dykaar
Racer

If you check the model at the Amazon link, it says it won't fit a 944. Sorry.

Regards,

doug

86 951 (http://www.pcaucr.org/visuals/photos...egory&catid=61)
01 E320 (W210) 4matic Wagon (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...body-do-2.html)
00 540i-6 (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hp?albumid=976)
94 855 turbo Wagon (sold in 09)
85 535i-5 (sold in 07)
76 300D (sold in 92)
83 944 (sold in 86)
I apparently only buy cars designated by numbers

Quick Reply: Chris Walrod front control arm bushing tutorial