Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra parts in a Rennbay ball joint rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
JayL
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Extra parts in a Rennbay ball joint rebuild kit?

In the process of rebuilding my ball joints with the Rennbay solid bushing ball joint rebuild kit. So far everything seems very simple and self explanatory except one thing. There's a couple of clear rubber pieces that aren't mentioned in the included instructions or on their website instructions. The attached picture shows one of them next to the dust boot. I'm guessing it goes on the ball pin under the boot, but wanted to be sure before I continued. So, if it does go there, how far down and does the boot cover it or just rest on the top edge of it? If not there, is it extra or does it belong elsewhere? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:23 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a guess, that may be a cover to slip over the ball joint to keep out dirt, then you slip the boot over that. It looks like a protective cover used on heim joints.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just did this kit and was puzzled by those too. I thought they were just some type of shim to keep the boot from getting squished when they vacuum-packed the parts onto that piece of card board. Also, did you ever get the epoxy supplied with the kit to dry? I tried everything including mixing it before putting it on the plate, but still no go.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to put a supplemental into the instructions since we moved to the OEM boot setup.

That goes over the pin, under the boot just like it was sitting in the packing. Small part down towards the ball. It is a spacer that was delivered on the original ball joints to keep the boot from compressing down. Not completely necessary but we include it.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Mach 5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennbay/Travis

Just got off the phone with Travis from Rennbay. I wanted to share a very positive experience.

I have the Rennbay ball joint kit on my '86 951. For some reason, the cover fell off the bottom of the passenger side control arm, exposing the ball joint (alignment shop may have hit it with high pressure grease gun). Called Rennbay to see if I could get just the parts that I need to repair this, versus buying a whole new kit for $185. Travis said "no problem". He's not even charging me for the parts.

Needless to say, Rennbay has just moved to the top of my search list for 944 parts. Very impressive.

Roger

Quick Reply: Extra parts in a Rennbay ball joint rebuild kit?