Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any chump car members here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do agree with Joe... the cost can get up there, particularly if a good chunk of your team has to buy equipment as well. CC mandates a neck restraint too, so unless you can borrow or rent you can easily get to $1500 in personal safety gear.

As others have noted it is easy to put 5K into the car itself if not more. Heck just a cage, seat, and harness can easily run you $3500. That is why I haven't done much CC after the initial event. With my existing race car and trailer at the house I don't have space or budget for another project.

And personally I'd rather spend my money doing 'real' racing. I found chump car to be a lot of driving in circles doing things that I could never get away with against experienced club racers. It is still quite fun to zip through a target rich environment but for me it doesn't match the buzz I get from going door to door for many laps with people that don't view contact as a way of life.

That said, I definitely have interest in running another 24 hour race. I love enduros and driving at night.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:08 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
And personally I'd rather spend my money doing 'real' racing.
Same here racing costs money and cheap racing is still not cheap. When I race I want to "race" not just run around and play racer.

I found chump car to be a lot of driving in circles doing things that I could never get away with against experienced club racers. It is still quite fun to zip through a target rich environment but for me it doesn't match the buzz I get from going door to door for many laps with people that don't view contact as a way of life.
Interesting as this is the way I felt it was. I have been racing long enough that I what I get from it is pushing myself to the limit of my abilities. I want to race against guys who do the same. I get the impression that it would be like taking my 944 out in DE1 against of bunch of novices and getting excited about passing them. Sure you can always find a few talented driver out there, but the appeal seams to be for those who don't race.

The issues of teams is also a challenge. You need to find the right group to share the work and costs. That is not always easy. Going solo is much easier as you know who is responsible.

From a prep standpoint.. 944 Chump vs 944 spec.

Engine - Chump - Both stock, but you can't expect run and old untouched motor for long in 944 spec. Then again most chump car motors don't last either. So you will need to do some work. Cost is pretty close for a solid chump car and solid 944 spec motor.

Saftey - Chump and spec both need the same stuff - So it is a wash

Suspension - Chump soft stock - spec $2000 on solid set-up that makes the car fun to drive.

Tires - Spec Toyo RA-1s - Chump street tires... Ok so the chump tires are cheaper, but with RA'1s they will last a half season a set easily.

Brakes - Wash as both can use the same

That said, I definitely have interest in running another 24 hour race. I love enduros and driving at night.

NASA has enduros you can run the 944 in. 3hr enduro's 6hr races and even the 25hr. NASA Az has a night spring race each year.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
928dreamer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me and the group of guys that want to do chump car, this is as close to racing most of use will come. It is very cheap and looks like loads of fun. Most of you sound like you have raced in the past-- none of us have ever raced.
It does sounds like it could add up to be more expensive than it is presented, but if everyone chips in their share it shouldn't be too bad.
For example- I found racing suits on eBay new for 135$.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Dont skimp on safety.

It can be (relatively) cheap when split between 4+ people. Racecars usually come with tow vehicles/trailers etc which if someone already has on your team then the others dont really need to purchase those. And seat time wise it is a good deal if the car stays running.

We did 4 at VIR for 24 hours (no crew/pit help) and it was nuts...I honestly dont know how we finished, it was like 95 degrees with no cool suits 2 hour stints. Looking back it was awesome but at the time we were all miserable. Its a lot different than spec racing which is usually just short sprint races, it brings out a lot of pit/fuel/driver strategy which is fun!

Both have pros/cons.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by 928dreamer
For example- I found racing suits on eBay new for 135$.

SFI 3.2/5 Rated? 2 or 3 layer? If not you will need underwear to make the minimum fire protection. Hey we have a guy out here that will forever remember the time chose not to run his balaclava when hopping into his race car. Oil line popped off and created a nasty fire which burned the back of his neck. It was the only place, along with his face, not covered by Nomex. The fire got over the collar on his suit and below helment. Need a pig skin graft and nearly 2 weeks in the hosptial. Had he worn his balaclava it would have make the burns minor.

Point is this don't skimp on safety gear. You need not spend $$$$$$$ money, but don't just buy it cheap. Understand what you are buying and what is limitations are.

BTW... driving a POS to me increases the risk of fire since there are so many parts that are probably ready to fail on junk heap in the first place.

And yes... RACING IS ALWAYS MORE EXPENISIVE THAN YOU PLANNED. ALWAYS.

From my stand point by the time I prep the car for chump car I am very close to a car I can race in 944 spec. Same applies to spec miata or spec E30 to be honest. You may not win races like that, but you will have real race car and be competing vs drivers will real competitive skill.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget fuel cost... It takes a lot of gas to run 24 hrs, around $500 worth if I remember correctly.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:16 PM
dontnow
Pro

Joe, do you need a comp license to race in spec? (I am asking for people on here instead of looking it up on the 944spec site)
Old 02-13-2012, 03:16 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

And 944s have big fuel tanks, comes in handy for endurance racing..we secured our 3rd place at VIR when the 4th place car had to make a splash and go.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:35 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by dontnow
Joe, do you need a comp license to race in spec? (I am asking for people on here instead of looking it up on the 944spec site)
Yes you do... 944 spec racing is real racing. Before you say "That is too hard" the reason for comp license is safety. It is a good method to keep the drivers on track at least a minimum standard. When you race at high speed just inches away you want to know they guy you are racing understand the basics at least. Ideally you don't race unless you know how to handle the car at speed. Basic driving at speed should be second nature to a racer.

That is what worries be about chump car. Being on track with guys that possibly have little to no track skills. I try to pull off a racing and pass they they slam the door cause they think rubbing is racing. It is not. Rubbing occurs when racers do something wrong.

You can start in DE with 944 spec car and learn to drive on track and then when you are ready apply for comp license.

Last edited by M758; 02-13-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:43 PM
928dreamer
Instructor

Road Atlanta had a double 7 event this weekend. Gas would probably be a couple hundred for the weekend. Do people use race fuel or just premium in chump/leMons?
Found a race bundle on racedaysafety.com that comes with gloves, neck brace, fire suit, socks, shoes, and nomex underwear for 234.00$
Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Originally Posted by M758
That is what worries be about chump car. Being on track with guys that possibly have little to know track skills. I try to pull off a racing and pass they they slam the door cause they think rubbing is racing. It is not. Rubbing occurs when racers do something wrong.
That was the worst part, they just chop you and you either brake and let them have the position, drive in the grass, or let them hit you. After it happens a few times you go for option 2 or 3...pretty annoying. Its like they are driving a DE line...but there are lots of people out there that are very capable - just a mix which I agree can get scary.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of us don't even use race gas in N/A 944's for club racing. Regular/Premium unleaded is just fine for chump.

If you have any anticipation of using this stuff repeatedly, spend a little more on the safety gear. Not only will it be safer, it will last longer. If you do start with that cheap package, upgrade the gloves, get a balaclava, and get a one piece suit, NOT a 2 piece.

It is expensive to get started, but a single instance of fire will have you wanting the best stuff possible. And sometimes thinking about that after the fact is too late. Just like with helmets... the saying goes "Cheap helmets for cheap heads". Buy a SA2010 helmet for the best longevity... a 2005 version will only have a few years of valid life before it will no longer be allowed.

I'm not bashing on Chump... it definitely has a place for allowing folks to get out and have fun on a track. But incidents are actually MORE frequent due to the fact that many don't have true racing experience. Parts fall off of junk cars. Things break. People hit you. To me that is even more reason to not skimp on the safety gear.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
928dreamer
Instructor

It definitely looked dangerous out there, but there was some good racing going on.
Spec 944 is 1. More expensive
2. Difficult to get involved if your an amateur racer
Old 02-13-2012, 04:37 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by 928dreamer
It definitely looked dangerous out there, but there was some good racing going on.
Spec 944 is
1. More expensive
2. Difficult to get involved if your an amateur racer

More expensive? If you consider that you can use the same car for 10 years then Spec is that much more expensive. Build cost is $2000 more for the suspension. That will make the car alot more fun to drive.

Difficult to get involved? Bring properly built chump car to NASA race and it should pass Tech. You may need to remove some "decorative items", but the safety level should be the same. For 944 spec you will most likely be legal. So all you need is a comp license and you are good to go.

Start in DE and you can be at the same events as the racers and then move to race group when you are ready. Really the last place you want to be is in a race car in race group when you have no idea what an apex is.

If I were to run chump car it would take me about 90-95% of the effort and money to build and run a spec car. The chump car will proabably get dented during the event and my spec car probably will not.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:42 PM
928dreamer
Instructor

Yes I see what your saying. But are the fees to race not higher in the spec clubs? Chump is 500 for the race + 100 per driver.

Quick Reply: Any chump car members here?