Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's been your worst injury while wrenching on your car???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:13 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JEez. Nothing that bad, but it seems nothing tricky can be done without lifting some skin and spilling some blood. Just a little - not a pint.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was working on my 951 replacing a light bulb when all of a sudden I was mugged and had my wallet stolen from some unknown entity. I looked at all of the receipts of parts purchased in the past year....that bastardo.

The only injury is to my bank account...oh well..could be worse.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by aben8057
I was working on my 951 replacing a light bulb when all of a sudden I was mugged and had my wallet stolen from some unknown entity. I looked at all of the receipts of parts purchased in the past year....that bastardo.

The only injury is to my bank account...oh well..could be worse.
Lol - this could be the start of a new thread:

"I was replacing a head light bulb, and decided, while I was in there, I'd do a timing belt job, water pump, balance shaft reseal, rear main seal, clutch, LSD and cross-drill the #2 rod journal."
Old 02-13-2012, 01:06 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was replacing the transmission by myself in the middle of the night without a transmission jack. Normal jacks don't hold transmissions very well. The trans was about 9-12 inches off the floor when it fell. Luckily, it did not hit the floor and get damaged. My arm was there to break the fall.

S0n-of-a B!t(h!!!!!!!!!!, that hurt.

It hit hard enough to split the skin on the top(transmission side) and bottom(garage floor side) of my elbow.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I was removing a stubborn bolt and it happened to squeeze out a massive fart out of me then my hand slipped and busted a few knuckles...I was to busy laughing to worry about the pain and bloody knuckles.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
I was removing a stubborn bolt and it happened to squeeze out a massive fart out of me then my hand slipped and busted a few knuckles...I was to busy laughing to worry about the pain and bloody knuckles.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did a brake job. I set the old front rotors on my rear spoiler as I was cleaning up my mess. I picked up the rotors to quickly, and they slid out of their boxes (I was saving them as they were still useable in an emergency.) they fell, on edge, on my big toe, shattering it into three pieces.

two days later I left for a month-long backpacking trip in Europe. That was a trip powered by Vicodin.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:54 PM
944Newb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pettybird
did a brake job. I set the old front rotors on my rear spoiler as I was cleaning up my mess. I picked up the rotors to quickly, and they slid out of their boxes (I was saving them as they were still useable in an emergency.) they fell, on edge, on my big toe, shattering it into three pieces.

two days later I left for a month-long backpacking trip in Europe. That was a trip powered by Vicodin.
My buddy dropped a rotor on his foot at work! Luckily he was wearing steel toes and just had a lot of bruising and pain..

I don't recall anything real bad happening to me but I sure do have a lot of cuts/burns on my hands! Typical knuckle busters. I like to say, I don't bust my *** I bust my knuckles!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:10 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I've only had busted knuckles and scrapes. I HATE being under the car when it's on jack stands. I always put at least two tires under it and jump up and down on it to make sure it's not going to slip. Even then it makes me really nervous.
+1. I can't bear to be under there any longer than I have to. The worst thing is when I'm yanking on something I keep thinking I'll knock the 3000lb car off the stands and crush myself. Ridiculous but I can't shake the feeling.

Closest I ever came to a real injury (apart from bruised hands, knuckles etc.) was when drilling to install a tow bar. I didn't realize what happens when the drill bit binds in the metal. I escaped injury but later I found out my dad once broke a rib this way!

To make matters more hilarious I had been using my left hand and so my palm had pressed the always-on switch, so the drill didn't stop when it wrenched out of my hand...
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,059 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Before it was cool the wear gloves I wrapped my hands on sharp engine parts constantly. After years of abuse there are a multitude of small scars on both hands.

The worst feeling in the world is that millisecond between when you really slam your hand (or any other body part) and the paid has not set in yet. It is the longest millisecond known to man.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:57 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I was tightening the starter bolts on a friend's car. It was raining, I was on the wet cold ground, and I was overall kinda tired of working on his car, so I got a little careless. I was tightening by pulling the wrench. Towards my face. It slipped and I smashed the bridge of my nose, breaking it. That one hurt like a MFer.

I was helping my brother figure out why his VW wouldn't start. We decided to check for spark by laying a plug on the intake. The intake on the VW was awkwardly shaped so I had to hold the plug on it manually. I remembered that people say to be careful about the high voltage, so I got my insulated pliers to hold the spark plug, and figured that was enough. I was shocked to find out I was wrong!

And countless lesser experiences. Alas, no permanent bodily damage (aside from small scars on the hands). Did you get your tooth fixed?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:33 PM
teamking
Pro

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Did you get your tooth fixed?
Yeah, thanks for asking. You can't even tell which tooth it was. My dentist is an artist.

Quick Reply: What's been your worst injury while wrenching on your car???