Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapping a 944 with Vinyl Graphics?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:24 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by EliteThink
would like to find a quote in that realm but so far nothing close.
What's your 10-7.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our vampire convent is in Seattle lol. in fact my cabrio should cost less than a coupe.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

An alternative to a full car wrap is going with cut vinyl graphics - that's some of the stuff I do. It's a bit cheaper and easy to put on since everything's smaller.

Here are some sketches I've done for my car and others.
Attached Images     
Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got vinyl Martini Racing graphics on my 951. They were awesome for about 18-24 months and then they started to fade and shrink. And that's with the car parked in a garage when not driven. You can buy the equipment and prep/spray a car yourself for less than getting a car completely wrapped. Applying vinyl isn't a fun job at all but it's not rocket surgery. Let me know if you want to see pics of how my car turned out/how the vinyl aged.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ramius665
They were awesome for about 18-24 months and then they started to fade and shrink. And that's with the car parked in a garage when not driven.
That's a common problem when cheap vinyl is used... Like many other things in life, better quality comes with a higher price. In terms of vinyl, the "good stuff" is about 3x more per roll. The higher-end vinyl has better color pigments and UV stabilizers. Also, higher-end vinyl is "cast" as opposed to "extruded" - cast is poured as a liquid and then hardens as a sheet. Extruded starts as a solid lump and is rolled out with, essentially, a rolling pin - and it, of course, always wants to shrink back to its original shape. Extruded vinyl has no business being on a car - but, because of it's lower cost, it's good for temporary indoor signs and stuff like that.

The Oracal vinyl I use is guaranteed for 8-10 years outdoor exposure (depending on color).
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 AM
papasmurf
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I am a graphic designer and work for a company that does vehicle graphics and wraps. About 2k should cover your costs but I am sure the price varies somewhat depending on where you are located. Where I work, we typically charge $2200-2500 to wrap a large vehicle like a truck....$1500-2000 will handle a smaller car like a cube or prius. 3m is our preferred material and what I would insist on if you wanted it to last. We have tried several other brands that are usually cheaper and they just do not install as easily. Avery and oracal are proabably the only other brands I would consider as alternatives. There are not going to be any templates for a 944 as it is just too old....most of the templates are for vehicles produced since the mid 90's on. A graphic artist should be able to design a wrap without a template using photoshop and high resolution shots of the car from side and front angles. You need to have a unit of scale (I use a ruler) in the photo so they know how to scale the final artwork. You can also make a template in illustrator or a similar program using the photos to build an outline similar to what was posted earlier. Like some mentioned...having complicated artwork flow around the edges like from the fenders to the hood can be a challenge. Usually the hood and roof are done in separate pieces from the sides so matching them up perfectly takes some time. Make sure whomever does the wrap uses a quality overlaminate on top of the film as this protects the printed vinyl somewhat from fading and minor scratches. Some companies use a liquid laminate that is like milk that is baked onto the film after printing....I would not recommend it as it provides little protection...make sure it is a film laminate. Solvent ink based printers color tends to last longer...water based is probably more environmentally friendly but durability may be compromised. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adelemyle421
Me and my friend did the car wrapping stuff from these guys cheap and well reliable.
Have any pictures? We'd like to see them.

Quick Reply: Wrapping a 944 with Vinyl Graphics?