Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:30 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kmm944
WOW "fortysixandtwo"... This is great input, thanks!!! I m heading for the store to get the gauge, it should be a spin-on adapter right?
So it is a possibility of bad filter, OPRV, OP-Sending Unit... if its light situation !?
It could be any of those (filter is doubtful), or a: cracked pick up tube, loose crank bolt, damaged oil pump, separated case sealer at pump or lower block joints, pickup tube seal, worn bearings.

For your wallet's sake, I hope its just a failed sending unit.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year is your 951?

If its an 86, then it has the old style oil pressure relief valve that's prone to sticking open. Could be that it got something stuck in the ball seat, or if it's a 87+ gunk in the piston of the new style oil pressure relief valves, and it's sticking. Been there, done that, remove and clean the oil pressure relief valve (yes, you can take apart and clean the new style valves, check to make sure it's not scored inside).

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:32 PM
kmm944
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dal Heger
What year is your 951?

If its an 86, then it has the old style oil pressure relief valve that's prone to sticking open. Could be that it got something stuck in the ball seat, or if it's a 87+ gunk in the piston of the new style oil pressure relief valves, and it's sticking. Been there, done that, remove and clean the oil pressure relief valve (yes, you can take apart and clean the new style valves, check to make sure it's not scored inside).

Good luck.
Thanks, I apreciated, by the way it is 1986 951, lightly moded, engine resealed and new belts few hundred miles ago. Like I said I am still to check the cranck bolt but very confident with the correctness of that, I am onto the feeling of OPRV or bad sender switch since it does flicker at very light taps of the accelerator, and the " ! " and low oil lights will disappear for like a couple of seconds!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:14 PM
kmm944
Track Day

I'll be checking pressure sender with DVOM since its the simplest thing to do. I still did not find a mechanical pressure gauge, but that will be next, then I'll check OPRV... Keeping the hope for a faulty sender folowed by the OPRV and truely hoping it ends there!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thing happen to my 85.5. I wouldn't start the engine again until I checked the oil pressure relief valve in the oil cooler. The one in my 944 broke. I R&R'd the oil cooler seals and relief valve and it was good to go.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 PM
kmm944
Track Day

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
I had the same thing happen to my 85.5. I wouldn't start the engine again until I checked the oil pressure relief valve in the oil cooler. The one in my 944 broke. I R&R'd the oil cooler seals and relief valve and it was good to go.
Was your engine sounding unhealthy when it happened and if it did what was it like?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You could short the contacts and see if the meter pegs...
Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was your engine sounding unhealthy when it happened and if it did what was it like?
Not at all, it was extremely tight. Even when I sold it at 140k miles, it only used about 1/4 quart of oil every 4k miles.

The good part about it was that I was going to do the oil cooler seals as preventative maintenance anyway and had the parts. Only needed to get the relief valve. The job is a total PITA, but doable without a lift. But a lift sure would have been nice!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:26 PM
kmm944
Track Day

I R&R the OPRV, it is the old type but in very good condition with a strong spring and it was free sliding without any binding! I will save the money for now. I am wondering if I should just get the oil filter relocation kit with additional ports and simply hook mechanical pressure gauge!?! It's less than a hundred bucks and it's very convenient for ease of access! Also it's cheaper than a oil pressure tool which is about $200.

Last edited by kmm944; 02-08-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 PM
kmm944
Track Day

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
You could short the contacts and see if the meter pegs...
I thought one lead was pressure signal and the other is the low oil light???
Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought one lead was pressure signal and the other is the low oil light???
Your understanding is correct. One lead drives the sensor, and the other activates the warning light. Technically there is a third lead, which would be the sending units body (grounded to block by the threads)

Shorting the warning light lead to ground (touching it to the block) should cause the low oil pressure light to come on. I haven't tried this, but it makes sense.
Shorting the gauge lead to ground should drive the gauge to read zero oil pressure.

We already know the warning light works, so that part of the harness is not in question. The pressure part of the harness is probably okay as well, because if there were an intermittent break, it would peg the gauge at 5+ bar then come down to actual reading levels when the signal is regained. I suppose there could be corrosion build up, in the circuit, causing a false reading, but the likelihood of the warning light malfunctioning at the same time, is very unlikely.

The only way to test the sending unit is to either remove it, apply a know reference pressure and see if the resistance is correct for that pressure, or install a separate oil pressure monitoring device (mechanical gauge or separate sending unit & electronic gauge) to the car and compare the readings.

You can pick one of these up for installing a mechanical guage
http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx

I think you will have to use a metric to standard adapter to install a typical mechanical gauge, some gauges may come with such an adapter. Or you can drill and tap one of the ports out to fit the standard pipe thread.

You can also throw some money at it and buy a new pressure sensor in the hopes that its the problem.

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 02-08-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 AM
kmm944
Track Day

I was actually going to do that, remove the sender and while still attached to the instrument cluster, I was going to pressurize it with a manual hydrolic cylinder pump that I got liying around. The pump has a built in gauge in psi. Even if it's not completely accurate, it will still show me if the sender is ok!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM
kmm944
Track Day

I apologize for my ignorance.., testing the oil sender is descriptively guided thru "Clarks-Garage"...
Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also it's cheaper than a oil pressure tool which is about $200.
You need to shop around. $45 and thats with the adapter...;] Bruce
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 PM
kmm944
Track Day

This is not a bad price but I already purchased the oil filter sandwich adapter plus I have couple of brand new oil pressure gauges that I will be hooking up to (one of them), to the port of the adapter! I will leave the set up in the engine bay, just so i can have a reference point!

Quick Reply: 951 no oil pressure