Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all this for a Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:51 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default all this for a Rear Main Seal

Just started disassembly of the back half of my '87 944 NA. I've been hoarding parts in prep of this project including a used clutch package from an '86 off ebay that's practically new. Spent two days trying to get the exhaust bolts out of the two header pipes. Started with using extractor sockets since the bolts were seized from rust and 25 years of normal wear. Ended up using a 3" air grinder with cutting disc to cut the bolts off of 3 bolts, two snapped and one came out normally. Three of the bolts were loose but nuts were seized. I'm hoping the rest of the project is easier and with less cussin'. Exhaust system laying on the floor, flywheel sensors out, ground strap off, and tomorrow pulling the trans-axle (sp) and cv's. I'm sure the clutch and bell housing is going to pose some issues from what I've read on the blogs so I'm hoping I'll be able to get through that part with no surprises.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My rear main leaked right after a full rebuild, imagine how I feel.

Don't forget to grind off the part of the bellhousing near the flywheel sensors, might save you some time putting things back together.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:18 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Reimu
...Don't forget to grind off the part of the bellhousing near the flywheel sensors, might save you some time putting things back together.
Nope, DON'T do that, it has been known to cause all sorts of engine running issues. Used to be common practice until people got spurious electrical/engine problems. Porsche issued a factory bulletin related to this and changed the sensor fittment on later cars.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

I wasn't aware of a procedure like this from all the many posts I've read. I did find it interesting, though, that when I looked at pictures of the sensors in "replacement" procedures articles, the mounting bracket didn't look like mine. I figured that it must have been an "early" car thing again and didn't know the history or rationale behind it. Thanks for the info on this.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:50 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Yes your 87 car is a little different to all the others in the sensor bracket area. The factory cut out the bracket for that year and it caused problems. Poor starting and pre-ignition problems. Then in the same year they introduced sleeves that fitted over the sensors that overcame the problems they created with the cut-out mod.

Strangely the word still hasn't got out to everyone and I still see earlier cars doing the cut-out mod to aid removing the clutch cover and they end up with the same problems the factory did in 87.

If your 87 doesn't by chance have the cut-out, leave it alone, if it does you have the sleeves to deal with and they cause their own issues with corrosion/binding to the sensors. Here is the factory bulletin from 87:

Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Well I guess I'm good on the mod. Car runs fine but I've been on a program to replace ALL rubber seals and stop the bleeding. As of now, I'm ready to drop the tranny, bell housing and replace the rear main seal which is leaking like a b__ch. Took me 2 days of using a 3" pneumatic grinder w/cutting wheel to get the two exhaust down-pipes bolts cut off. I'm ready to drop the tranny tomorrow and replacing the clutch and tranny seals and gaskets while everything is apart. Still don't know how I'm going to get to the two transmission mount bolts up on top. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: all this for a Rear Main Seal