Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turnbuckle explanation/clarification..please

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So...If I just remove the turnbuckle entirely..will this allow for the belt to slip off the alternator? It's essentially new and would rather not have to buy a new one.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 AM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
It's sort of a double reverse that confuses a lot of people. Not only is one thread LH but because they are on opposite sides you actually move the wrenches in the same direction relative to the car.

-Joel.
So..If the nut I've already loosened was counter-clockwise...the opposite one is counter-clock-wise too ( both wrench movements towards the back of the car)? The ol' "double reverse"? I can see why people are constantly breaking these..
Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

I bought a used turnbuckle off ebay...If I just remove the old one, will that allow for enough movement for removal of the alt belt?

Thanks for everyone's help....this simple r/r has been an exercise in patience. I refuse to let the car beat me..
Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

For prosperity...I want to add, BOTH nuts on the turnbuckle loosen by turning them towards the BACK of the car. Same direction! Clockwise if you are facing the driver's side. The a/c pivot bolt is on the back of the compressor also.

Got the new alt installed today...so I am officially 951 "de-virginized". Only Porsche would make you drain your cooling system to reach it.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOp
For prosperity...I want to add, BOTH nuts on the turnbuckle loosen by turning them towards the BACK of the car. Same direction! Clockwise if you are facing the driver's side. The a/c pivot bolt is on the back of the compressor also.

Got the new alt installed today...so I am officially 951 "de-virginized". Only Porsche would make you drain your cooling system to reach it.
What if the turnbuckle is taken off and reversed? Would that not reverse the swing of the wrench? IMO It is best to look at the threads and turn the locknuts based on that. I would not say you turn the locknuts in the same direction (relative to what?)
Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM
BlackOp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
What if the turnbuckle is taken off and reversed? Would that not reverse the swing of the wrench? IMO It is best to look at the threads and turn the locknuts based on that. I would not say you turn the locknuts in the same direction (relative to what?)
True...I'm assuming most people havent/dont remove the entire turnbuckle from the factory.

Anyway...I'm just glad this experiment is over..

Quick Reply: Turnbuckle explanation/clarification..please