Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car now starts :) BUT loud squeel

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:04 PM
strtsol1109
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car now starts :) BUT loud squeel

ok so i figured out my non starting issue, now when its runing i get the typical not ran for 3 weeks belt squeek then i was getting a LOUD consistant squeel about 3-4 seconds after running... any ideas? heres a vid u can hear it more towards the end not quite as distinct with my cell phone as id like the sound to be

Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alternator belt is my first guess so tighten a bit and see…or you may have a T belt walking.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 PM
max_boost951
Racer

Belts and/or belt tension...
Old 01-22-2012, 10:34 PM
strtsol1109
Advanced

yea i think im just being poaranoid... my alt belt would squeel before at night when i had some volts running ie lights, heat, stuff like that... im figuring just sitting for 3 weeks in the freezing its a little tight now and being my head under the hood is alot louder then sitting in the cabin driving, ill have to try tommrow and see if its just this belt, i heard its semi normal for them to squeel?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:43 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So what was the cause of the no start?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Mrmerlin
Team Owner

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,406 Posts

from your post it sounds like you have cracked exhaust manifolds, this is sort of normal but still not good.
You lose boosting pressure.
The manifolds are hi temp metal and wrapped with a heat insulation compound then covered with stainless covers.

I didnt hear a belt squeal BUT your alternator belt should be rather tight as its loaded the most at idle just after a start or work has been performed on the car.
If possible remove the KnN filter and replace the stock intake.
You are effectively losing HP as the engine warms up the intake you have will be sucking hot air from the radiator.
You may notice your car seems pretty peppy when its first started but performance will drop off as you drive it.
Even though you have an intercooler the incoming air should be kept as cool as possible to get the most effect of the intercooler
Old 01-24-2012, 01:06 AM
strtsol1109
Advanced

honestly i really dont have a pinpoint idea, my car was kinda ****tly modded before i got it. so i had top go in a redo all the vac lines, rewired some things, used connector cleaners on a bunch of ****. fuel pressure was a little high so i got a new 3 bar fpr and a new dme relay but at first that didnt fix it, then i was randomly cleaning some things and threw a noid light on it and it fired up with the one injector disconnected. but i tried the disconnecting the injector to take the dme load off them like a week ago and no go so i dont know honestly but i re did and put alot of things back to stock... have you gotten yours up and running yet?

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin
from your post it sounds like you have cracked exhaust manifolds, this is sort of normal but still not good.
You lose boosting pressure.
The manifolds are hi temp metal and wrapped with a heat insulation compound then covered with stainless covers.

I didnt hear a belt squeal BUT your alternator belt should be rather tight as its loaded the most at idle just after a start or work has been performed on the car.
If possible remove the KnN filter and replace the stock intake.
You are effectively losing HP as the engine warms up the intake you have will be sucking hot air from the radiator.
You may notice your car seems pretty peppy when its first started but performance will drop off as you drive it.
Even though you have an intercooler the incoming air should be kept as cool as possible to get the most effect of the intercooler
i check the manifold when i saw this and no cracks or black tar from the exhaust coming out anywhere on it, the "rattle" is from my wastegate dump is snapped off so basically its running a open wastegate dumping to atmosphere but that pipe connecting to the exhaust is still there, i didnt do this but i am gonna delete that pipe and put a tial on it.

and today, since it was warm i started it again and no squeel, but i have read the alternator under load and cold do squeel frequently on these cars and mine does it at those times

no stock airbox and i get the heat exchange thing but right now i cant change it, my car actually feels more "peppy" after it warms up but i honestly dont get on it enough to notice. ive ran enough boost to open the WG maybe one or 2 gears full since ive had the car about 3 months and 2000 miles... but i want to know if somethings wrong in this department so tommrow ill hit the highway and do a 2-3-4 pull and see if the boost falls off anywhere through the rpm range

i do plan on getting the lindsey racing afm set up that moves the intake to behind the headlight very soon

Quick Reply: car now starts :) BUT loud squeel