Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help fixing my Fuchs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need help fixing my Fuchs

I've purchased some 951 fuch wheels last fall from a Rennlister. I finally had a chance to fully unwrap them yesterday (I've been really busy).

The seller told me they where in really good condition before the purchase, he told me '' NO CURB RASH''.

After unwrapping, there some small curb rash on all of them, but these can be sanded off, except for this onesee photo).

does any body knows a good filler to repair this myself? I don't want to paint them, I'm just looking for a filler I can apply, dry, and sand.

Last edited by eric951turbo; 09-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
kens_74911s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weld or pant

You can have it welded then grind and sand it back and finally spin it up to finish the lip after you remove the anodizing. If you do "fill" it you would need to paint the lip(s) The welding will turn out good , sometimes it will be a tad brighter where the welding was done.
I have a few stacks of Fuchs im 15 and 16". If you get in a bind LMK. I may let you swap it out for some $ differnce. You shoud try and get some $ back on that one. Is it a 16x6 ?
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ERS/?start=all
Old 01-19-2012, 06:17 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kens_74911s
You can have it welded then grind and sand it back and finally spin it up to finish the lip after you remove the anodizing. If you do "fill" it you would need to paint the lip(s) The welding will turn out good , sometimes it will be a tad brighter where the welding was done.
I have a few stacks of Fuchs im 15 and 16". If you get in a bind LMK. I may let you swap it out for some $ differnce. You shoud try and get some $ back on that one. Is it a 16x6 ?
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ERS/?start=all
Nope, these are original 951 fuchs, not 911. they are 7 & 8. I'm not sure sure witch one is damage, I'll have to check
Old 01-19-2012, 08:52 PM
kens_74911s
Racer

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
Nope, these are original 951 fuchs, not 911. they are 7 & 8. I'm not sure sure witch one is damage, I'll have to check
Okay its likely the 7" then I moved a set like that to France last year. The 7's have the flat face after the main 1st lip, look a lot like a 16x6. You will be better off to sub out the welding and fix it right. I would grind it back to get most of the rash out while tapering the cut. When you get most of it out you will probably only have some smaller gouges. That you could present to a good welder. The good thing is they are forged and take to welding better than a cast rim. Don't worry about the welding warping it its not like welding steel.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Okay its likely the 7" then I moved a set like that to France last year. The 7's have the flat face after the main 1st lip, look a lot like a 16x6. You will be better off to sub out the welding and fix it right. I would grind it back to get most of the rash out while tapering the cut. When you get most of it out you will probably only have some smaller gouges. That you could present to a good welder. The good thing is they are forged and take to welding better than a cast rim. Don't worry about the welding warping it its not like welding steel.
Ok thanks. I did some calls and the best price I got was 175$ for full finish & repair for that wheel. I've sent a email to the Rennlister who sold that to me asking for compensation....
still no answer. Here is a part of the email:

my question: Is there any curb rash, damage etc.... how are the lips, the caps?

his answer: No rash or damage, 3 centers have the cermics one is embossed. ( was lost and replaced) No track time, pleasure car.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:00 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

I'll wait one week for his response.
After one week, his name and avatar name will be on this website.

I though we where a nice, HONEST community here at Rennlist.

This sucks big time. Remind you that I paid the price (1K) + the duty to get them here in Montreal 120$
Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Could this be good?

http://youtu.be/kk-PKNTLL9M
Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

You will be better off to sub out the welding and fix it right. I would grind it back to get most of the rash out while tapering the cut. When you get most of it out you will probably only have some smaller gouges. That you could present to a good welder. The good thing is they are forged and take to welding better than a cast rim. Don't worry about the welding warping it its not like welding steel.
He should be very carefull if he does the cleaning & gouging himself & only remove the minimum material,as for warping I agree with you but for pete sake find a good welder who can TIG weld & stay away from the MIG.Btw put enought heat on aluminum even forged & it will warp same as steel.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:22 PM
kens_74911s
Racer

Default lip

Yes TIG only and when he is done it will only be a few small spots.
Alum does not move with just smal filler spots.
All the same minor lip damage on a 15 or 16" will not throw out radial run-out , (No vibes with his 16" tire)
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 PM
kens_74911s
Racer

Default fillerup

Could this be good?

http://youtu.be/kk-PKNTLL9M
Your Video: He looks like an eXPUrtT. Keep in mind if you dump that filler metal in those voids and it does not come out right, you will be painting or selling that alloy or just running it as it is. Future welding will make it a mess. The 951 series ( large brake clearance 16" Fuchs ) are harder to find and deserve being put back right if you want the lip natural, never mind anodizing it. Some (most) welds don't take the anodizing the same as base material so its destine to be a natural or painted lip.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Your Video: He looks like an eXPUrtT. Keep in mind if you dump that filler metal in those voids and it does not come out right, you will be painting or selling that alloy or just running it as it is. Future welding will make it a mess. The 951 series ( large brake clearance 16" Fuchs ) are harder to find and deserve being put back right if you want the lip natural, never mind anodizing it. Some (most) welds don't take the anodizing the same as base material so its destine to be a natural or painted lip.
thanks for the advice....
I won't waist my time with this, I'm gonna go all the way.
I've been dreaming of having fuchs wheels on my 951 for over 2 years.
I got them, I'll have them fixed.
This company looks like they no what they are doing.
http://www.pjacques.com/?language=en
Old 01-20-2012, 01:14 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the advice....
I won't waist my time with this, I'm gonna go all the way.
I've been dreaming of having fuchs wheels on my 951 for over 2 years.
I got them, I'll have them fixed.
This company looks like they no what they are doing.
http://www.pjacques.com/?language=en
The garage I use to work at used pjacques with good results...I am getting mine redone this winter with a local company (alloy wheel repair) They are around the same price as you are paying.

My wheels just needed a repaint of the centers and clean up the edges that are just showing signs of years of non cleaning.

I dropped mine off in early December and they should be ready in a couple weeks..Looking forward to seeing them back on my car

Quick Reply: need help fixing my Fuchs