Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to cat or not to cat that is the question??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:00 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

junior, run a resonator and you'll end up with a better sound.

please read my post from this thread;

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...options-2.html

to everyone who says there's not much of a difference. i know i gained a lot over my clogged dead cat..... and the beautiful thing is i didn't have to go out and buy a new one. i used the money to buy lighter, high-flow exhaust pieces instead. best mod i ever did on a car..... and by running the slightly larger diameter tire to go along, i gained about 4~5 mph over the factory quoted 156 mph. and that was with an engine that had over 100 K miles. the other significant gain was fuel mileage. at least 2 mpg.... turbos benefit from open pipe even more than an engine with variocam... with your turbos, running a resonator and a medium sized magnaflow, i can't even imagine how awesome such a setup would sound. you'd really enjoy an exotic exhaust note. and the sound level would be just about perfect. and i don't see why you wouldn't gain a few hp.

UPDATE; here's a crude soundclip of my exhaust using a 5 dollar microphone and junk recorder...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU6FN...ature=youtu.be

exhaust is fairly quiet at idle, but makes a very big sound at wot... the cheap microphone/recorder stumbles at startup as the exhaust tone is extremely low... anyhow, use a good pair of headphones or a good sound system with plenty of gain and decent subwoofer to hear the full volume range between idle and wide open throttle.

now i need to get a digital recorder and do a better one.

enjoy.

od.

Quick Reply: to cat or not to cat that is the question??????