Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Other Cars Suit Us After a 951,944, 968

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:51 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

74Gold has the idea I am trying to get to.

996 Turbo less than 993 ? You think. I will at least look at ebay or somewhere and get an idea.

I really used to be BMW all the way. We had an X5 and a 3 series and 3 BMW motorcycles all at one time. I was surprised to find that they all gave us various and large-er issues. Granted the motorcyles are not the same. Our X5 had more issues and than it should in my mind and stranded my wife several times until BMW or I could get there. I took the X5 on a 1000 mile trip and then back and then we sold it. I found it that it was great around town and not so much up on the road for me.

But these arent cars like I am looking at today.

BMW would have to convince me that they are doing better in build than my last ones thats for sure to get me into the M3. But on the surface I agree that BMW would generally be more a day in and day out driver than Porsche. Or again, it used to be. I would have to look at the options but I saw the baase was $60,000. If its anything like most BMWs it could be $90,000 after the options. LOL.

I have also seen a few of our friends rassling some new BMWs. It just seems that they have the technology but that it is not the same "old school" BMW reliablity and durability that it used to be. Maybe I was just unlucky. I said " I will NEVER own one of these if the warranty runs out." May have been good words. I advised a fair number of younger folks getting a Bimmer to do the same.

If I am going to get up above $60 or 70,000 I am going to have to do some soul searching - that is before I talk to the budget director too LOL. $100,000 for a play toy car is really not something that I want to do. I balked at $60,000 for a King Ranch diesel F250 and got an Avalanche Z71 a couple of years back. It is a psychological thing. And a green thing. LOL!

The one reason I was trying to stay "down" in the models was to try to retain some measure of the " classic Porsche " . I may have to keep the 951 to do that.

Last edited by TexasRider; 12-20-2011 at 12:41 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-20-2011, 01:00 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

It looks like showers and rain for the next week or so. And a lot of folks off.

I will have to look at going in for some test drives after January gets here. At the least I am going to go to Porsche and test a Cayman and then oer by Victory and see what he has. And I will probably go by BMW as it is close to me and see what they might have and test drive a regular 3 series or whatever they have.

I will just sell my brother my 951 at Christmas . Yeah right . My son wants it too. Except he expects that he will drive now and pay later. Much later. Nope.

Heck maybe one of them will do like our dealer did when we got the Escalade. Here's the keys, take it home for the night and let us know what you want to do tomorrow. Of course we were up there buying it after.

But somehow I dont think they are going to do that !
Old 12-20-2011, 02:52 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

What is the newest version of the M ?

Surely it is "improved". I mean for real improved.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:49 AM
Fred2746
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Boss must have been a Leguna Seca. There are several on ebay for sticker.

Otherwise, the Cayman.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by chrenan
I have an RX-8 as a daily. Amazing handling and a unique engine makes it a very engaging car to drive.
I looked at those before I bought my 951. I found them to be a little underwhelming; the 951 just seemed more visceral and engaging to pilot than the RX-8. What's your take on one vs. the other?

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Maybe get $20,000 or a bit less for my 951 ( Yeah some of you are shaking you r head on that price - but it is mostly all new at 91,000 miles with almost all Porsche parts. ) or maybe a little less than that . I saw a couple not nearly as nice or good as mine go for $17,000 or so. So its a guess.
Shaking my head? More like spewing my coffee. You'll never see that for a 951. I picked mine up with a little over 50k on the clock in absolutely pristine condition (not even any dash cracks), and I paid $16k.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I looked at those before I bought my 951. I found them to be a little underwhelming; the 951 just seemed more visceral and engaging to pilot than the RX-8. What's your take on one vs. the other?
The 951 is definitely more visceral, couldn't agree more.

I think I'm one of the 1/1000000 that the RX-8 makes sense for. I need the back seats and use the suicide doors daily on the daycare run. I also needed a backup track toy for when the 951 goes down for repairs, this happened once last season and the RX-8 was pressed into service. Hell would also freeze over before I bought a minivan or an SUV even though I have 2 kids.

The RX-8 and the 944 Turbo (non-S) have similar stock levels of horsepower, 238 vs 220. But, the 951 has 100 foot pounds more of torque, that's a big difference, especially when it comes to street driving. The RX-8 is light by modern standards, a stripper like mine with no sunroof, cloth seats, no traction control/stability control, basically with nothing, is under 3000 lbs.

On track the RX-8 is tons of fun and very easy to drive quickly, much easier than a 951. The revs have to stay between 6 and 9 thousand (fuel cut-off at 9200) otherwise you'll be out of the power. Its a front mid-engined car with double a-arm front suspension and multi-link rear suspension. Frankly, you can't argue with a modern suspension layout, it makes things much easier at speed, progress waits for no man (or car) and 20 years is an eternity of development in the car world.

I found the RX-8 to be very predictable and much more sensitive to small steering inputs than the 951. Both are predictable in terms of when the back will start to slide, the 951 does it in a big gradual way, and catching it happens at the same pace. The RX-8 back end seems quicker to step out, but also much easier and quicker to catch and correct. Around a small track here in Edmonton I usually run about 76.5 seconds per lap in the 951, I ran 77.5 in the RX-8. Not bad, considering I'm used to the 951, have been driving it competitively for a few years, and the RX-8 was on very old tires and I don't have it setup at all for track work, it is bone stock. If I had to guess I'd say the 951 made up time coming out of corners, you really miss BOOST in the RX-8.

I will say that I never considered the RX-8 until I really looked into them seriously over a long period. They have bagage, so the used prices are very low for what you get. I always thought they were a bit silly, ugly, and basically like a miata with a fixed roof. I still think they are ugly. But, they are a much more serious car and driver's tool than I ever thought before I owned one. There is a lot of design thought and engineering put into the car, you can really tell that it was designed by people who like driving.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Not to defend my guestimate price but mine IS in absolutely pristine condition. And even better. Completely mechanically rebuilt 1,500 miles ago. 92,000 on it now. With every record from day 1 until today.

I previously, and maybe not a good idea, declined on $20,000 so that is how I got here. Number one I had use for the car as we wanted to target the vintage level of the Targa Newfoundland with it. Two ..... it has much more cubic dollars than that into it and I wanted to enjoy it after all that.

The guys jab at me that Porsche called and wants their museum piece back.

That is yet more why I am not driving it a lot (damn Houston drivers too), nor in the rain, etc. My normal insurance, not collector car type, would only cover it for $25,000. If somebody whacks it I would be pizzed.

If I choose to sell it, it just gets what it gets. It is some cost of cars, but also having to build another shop as I said to house more iron.

Dash cracks - surely you jest. Nothing I have would have anything like that. Well except the Jeep at the farm. My boyz dont do such a great job on it. With mud and water they do good. WIth careful and concours maintainance, not so much. But yeah mine is all original too.

But that is one of the reasons why I am trying to be a bit careful on this next old car. I really dont want to have a $100,000 SC or something. And I am prone to over do it. If I am going to disassemble it, frame off, or rotessierre it, rebuidt it all with even new bolts, yeah then maybe I better get a Vette so I can put 600 hp in it, and then maybe one day get my money back. Those burn outs a block long get those Vette buyer motivated LOL.

This happened to me once on a 67 Corvette btw. We (it took 2 of us to finance this job) did get our money back after building a concours car. But I dont think a dollar more . No burnout though. Won a car show. Sold the car. More of what happens when your friends have a good idea . Hauling a car around ina transporter is not for rme anymore. Nor is keeping it in a completely dust free environment. Very nice, yes. Insane, no more... I hope.

In any event I have to go over by Porsche today. No test today as it raining. But I can window shop anyway. And see if anyone there (beside Shane) knows what a 951 is. That should be fun.

Last edited by TexasRider; 12-20-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:34 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our sports car path was 944 / S2000 / NSX........

Brian
Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

I drove one of the Mazdas when we were looking for a car for my son. But he was in the car so another 250 lbs of brute might slow it down some. It just seemed as you say no torque.

A bit like that with the Z I drove last week. It sure seems faster than my 951. But is a bit electrci motor like. It doesnt really do anything different, the tach and speedometer just sweep around. Quickly I might add. But our 951's zip from 60 or 80 though too. Enough to get a ticket quick though.

If I wanted to go racing again, and I dont, I would thik about a Mazda though. Them and Ford both support the program.

And I might go racing a bit. I swear IF I have to put up a new shop I am going to go all out and put up some lights and grate up a 1/2 mile oval and build up a couple of go carts, and maybe a couple of adult minis with Yamaha motorcycle engines in them. You want to go racing then .... just come on over and we can race all night.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:50 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

I am too convinced that the NSX's will likely be a super car for the future. Probably sell it and fund some retirement if you need to.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing and Z cars go hand in hand. The older ones are much more visceral. Extreme parts availability as well as modifications. An engine bay that can hold Jag/BMW v12's and Viper V10's as easily as a 454 big block. Lots of racing history goes with these cars. Long curvy hood, and lots of smooth torque from the inline sixes, with very stout suspension/drivelines.

Though I walk through the valley of Porsches I have no fear as I carry a big stick and it's name is called Boost!
Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

^^^^

That is a fact. And that is a great Z. And mean too. I dont want to rassle it in my 951.

My latest 260. I hated the red wheels, but I like the deep dish.

Not nearly as fun as turbocharging, but fun for these cars. These trip Mikunis were super built for me by Wolf Creek. It took me a while to get my paws on them. I can work on these cars. A 993 or 996 not so much.

What it was before just for kicks.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

I dont why you boyz want those fast cars ! You are getting old enough to know better!

It quit raining out there so I got to go.

Adios !
Old 12-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 456 Posts

I love me some Fairlady!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm also under the impression that the NSX is going to be worth a lot in the future, the only problem, if it's selling for 30k now...it's high milage or crappy.

Quick Reply: What Other Cars Suit Us After a 951,944, 968