Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Other Cars Suit Us After a 951,944, 968

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011 | 02:58 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

I had 2 944's and my wife nagged me into stop drooling and go buy the Cayman S I was looking at over at the dealership. It's true! She did! So I sold the 944 and bought it. Absolutely amazing car. Had the economy not pulled the rug out from under us like it did, I'd still have it. Just couldn't justify the $1grand a month payment on it. Now I'm back with another 944 and I'm going bumper to bumper little bit at a time (sometimes more) and I'll keep this one. I've never seen one in this color before (Nile Green Metallic) and with every seal I replace or upgrade I do, I love it even more. I do still miss the Cayman, though.
Old 12-19-2011 | 03:38 PM
ltdan12a
Instructor

Originally Posted by onspeed
. Not to mention the inevitable downgrade in engineering and driving feel going from a Porsche to a Japanese import.
Wow.... Biased much? I've only owned my 944 for a week, and LOVE it, but still... the technology is 25 years old!!!
Old 12-19-2011 | 03:43 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kingston944
maybe RX 8, sounds nice winding them up to 9000 rpm.
I have an RX-8 as a daily. Amazing handling and a unique engine makes it a very engaging car to drive.

If I was to get another Porsche I'd love a 996GT3. From a dollars and cents point of view, I'd likely end up with a Cayman S or maybe a 997S when prices drop enough.
Old 12-19-2011 | 03:51 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

broken down by region of origin based on 30g limit

'Merican:

2012 Ford Focus, 93-02 Camaro or Trans Am, 97-04 Vette, 91-96 Dodge Stealth N/a...much cheaper that way

Euro:

M coupe, 88-06 M3, 99-04 911, 01-04 Audi S4, 87-91 928,

Japanese:

94-99 Mitsubishi 3000gt Fwd again cheaper that way(they made awd turbo versions, same with dodge stealth), Nissan 300zx turbo, nissan 350z, toyota supra mk4 n/a(cheaper that way), Acura NSX, Mazda FD rx-7.

my honost opinion, i've owned a 944 and a Dodge stealth turbo, they compliment each other very well. the 944 is one of the best handling cars i've ever driven, but unless it's a somewhat modded turbo, it's not that quick. the stealth can be found for 7g...easily and starts with 300hp, if you double and put another 7-8 into engine mods, you'll be at 525hp. the only reason i suggested the FWD version is b/c the awd system on the stealth(while great and intelligent) is a very picky awd. if you get one that's been well taken care of(9g's) you only need worry bout doing your oil. i honostly love my stealth, i have had headaches with it, but it's an amazing car...plus i've never once gotten stuck with the awd despite having 245/45r17 tires on it. they're sleek low cars, they're not a 944 type handling car at all, they gobble up highway though like an M5 or 928 though.
Old 12-19-2011 | 04:13 PM
67rschev
Instructor

I vote for a good look at the M3 , or a first year BMW 1 series . I've been daily driving a M3 for the last three years and just cant picture any better fit and practicality , not to mention plenty of stank and handling to boot . Original 1 series motor is great , but they do drive a little heavy . The Audis are very nice , the daughter has an S4 , but they drive and handle FAT . Talk about understeer , thinking you would be very disappointed
Old 12-19-2011 | 04:31 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Oddly, that's still the case; I think the average Corvette owner must be in his early 60s!
This. My best man had an '86 in college that we tooled around in (man that was awesome- black on red leather, coilovers, OZ 5-star wheels, bangin' stereo) and he was always the youngest at GTGs. But the community is indeed strong, friendly, willing to help, and a bunch of good folks with a few old soreheads and elitest snobs. CorvetteForum.com is a good place.

My wife's 'Porsche' is a Corvette- we have yet to get one, but that's what she wants. We're waiting until C6s become a bit more affordable to get her something fun. They're great cars for the value. We rented a ZHZ from the Hertz desk in LA a few years ago and tooled around in that for a week- pretty sublime.

But I think for the money, I keep coming back to the clownshoe of the M-Coupe... something about one of these in blue or black with a two-tone leather interior and ValentineOne on the windshield... mmm. Tight, classy, unique, fast, useful little German enthusiast runabout.
Old 12-19-2011 | 05:03 PM
JustinL
Drifting

To replace the 951 it would have to be faster than what I've gotten used to. I have an E46 M3 which is quick, comfortable, and can dance, but doesn't thrill like the 951. I took a 993 for a rip around the track, and it was fun and a challenge, but still not as fast or as exciting. If I was ready to blow $100K, the widowmaker (996GT2) would be the easy choice. Short of that though, the 996GT3 seems like the best bet.
Old 12-19-2011 | 05:17 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Originally Posted by m73m95
You are going to come up against some heavy arguments over that statement.

The 944/951 will run circles around any 911 made before the mid-90s.

70's and 80's 911s were pure junk... That's why the 928 was invented, and why the 944 saved the company. 911's have only been great driver's cars in the last 10-15 years.
I'd say that's an equally inflammatory statement. Any modest 911 is reliable and consistent in performance, and will pull a 951 around any track. I'm not trying to start an argument, nor will I participate in such. Saying 70/80s 911s are pure junk is antagonizing and bad form in this, and any other forum. Especially if you disregard the Corvette/Nissan/BMW references herein. An aircooled 911 is a natural progression for many watercooled owners, most of whom seldom look back. The 928 was on paper in the late 60s, not long after the 911 was introduced.
Old 12-19-2011 | 05:46 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Having a quick coffee break here and took a peak at our RL board to get a quick fix to go with the caffieene.

I will get back and do some follow - up posts tonight. Thanks guys.
Old 12-19-2011 | 06:36 PM
dontnow
Pro

I had a SC for 3 years as a mostly daily driver in LA traffic and it was a good car, fun to drive and mostly trouble free. Replaced ignition switch/lock cylinder, had starter and alternator rebuilt, trunk and hood props, etc. Sold it when we had our first child, along with the boat and 70 Challenger RT/SE.
Old 12-19-2011 | 06:45 PM
andys-944
Pro

Good point on the Z4 coupe although I looked at a Z4 convertable and went no further than shutting the drivers door, horrible rattle, may have been a bad example but put me off before the salesman left his office!
Old 12-19-2011 | 09:19 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

There are a lot of good responses and a lot to consider.

This may not make any sense to anybody but me, but here was my thinking when I started looking for something different a few weeks back.

It is a little on money, a little on mechanics, a little on looks, and a little on practicality. Mostly considering the Porsche now here , but some others too. A practical Porsche - you are kidding right.

Mostly I drive the Avalanche or an F250, but sometimes a car is fun too. Like you, we have the wifes car, in this case a M37S Infiniti after we had the Escalade. But for me the car is just a fun thing and toy - mostly.

But I might sometime want to drive the car on run to Dallas, or to Florida, or something like that. Or even when it rains. My 951 is tip tops, but it is still 26 years old no matter how you look at it.

I drive the 951 a bit, some Hill Country runs, Sunday runs, and track days, and some car shows. I do like the looks of the classic cars and the Porsches from the 1980's. And in particular 1986 in both the Turbos, the 951 and the 930. The 951 handling is for me BTW. As a lifelong motorcycle rider and racer, the trail braking is built in to me now. Also, I am not going to go to the broker or bank and get $60,000 for a 930 and hand it over. It is not happening. I know about maintaining these cars.

I also like the looks of the 993's and they may be the best looking Porsches of the 911's. And they may appreciate some too later.

On a separate note I am not keeping up with the Joneses or anything, but my buddies have some cars. Their drivers are some top of the line ones like a CTSV, a XLR, top Jags, Panamera (thanks to me), Bentley, etc and more . Their idea of a sometimes driver sports car is a Lambo Gallardo or a Ferrari. Not only do I not want a Scion or a VW, or even a Subaru ( unless we are rallying ) I cant make that work. I would take a ton of crud. Seriously those cars are for guys a bit younger than me.

Moreso what I did NOT WANT is too much WORK on anything else I bought.

So I said, if I could get a $30,000 car, reliable, new, etc then I could have both the Porchse 951 that I put so much into, and a new runner. About all that fits that that I like for me is the 370Z. And the wifes Infiniti is a solid car. Hot too. I also have some older Z history and have a re-done 260Z as well.

If it gets to much above that price I am thinking well my truck is paid off here in a month or so. I could just pay it off today, and make some payments on something to go with the Porsche. Reality check. As I said above I need more space to park all of this. See posts above.

So I say, I will sell the 951 to a loving hard driving Porsche fanatic owner and move up to a 993 or something if it is going to be more than $40,000. Maybe get $20,000 or a bit less for my 951 ( Yeah some of you are shaking you r head on that price - but it is mostly all new at 91,000 miles with almost all Porsche parts. ) or maybe a little less than that . I saw a couple not nearly as nice or good as mine go for $17,000 or so. So its a guess.

But add some cash and now I am in to a new-er 993, more reliable over time I hope, and less work, maybe. If a 993 is going to go for $50,000 or more, then I would skip that and head to a new Cayman or something like that at $60,000-ish with the idea of $20K for my car, $20K cash in to it, and finance the rest so I am $500 a month or so for a completely new ride. So it stays in about my cash line.

One thing I dont want to do is to move in to a used 993 and start working on that car. I rarely ever buy a used car, truck, boat, or motorcycle, etc. But in this case I am going to consider it. It has to be good and a bit special. I am not a snob but it is just how I do it.

In the $50,000 range it opened the door for things like the Vipers. It is great but not me. Th Vettes are great too, but not for me. The Mustangs are a return to my earlier days as I had a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 back in college in the mid - 1970s. $50,000 for a Boss seemed "Ok enough" until they wanted $75,000, or $28,000 over sticker, as I put above. Above $75K, I aint going there. I've already owned offshore fishing boats in my life - so I know how it is UP there.

So you see where I am going. I wanted a powerful, good handling car, one that not everybody has, something I can take on the road, and have less work , and finally one I can afford, and not lose all its value in 3 years. I also want to see it parked over there and it puts a smile on my face. In other words, something fun too.

If I can keep the 951 great. It will only cost me another hunk of dollars to build another shop, but thats ok and something different.

And if I cant keep the 951 (on costs) , I want one car that does it all as good as the 951 does.

Thanks guys and I really enjoyed the discussion and inputs. Happy Holidays to you all from Texas !
Old 12-19-2011 | 09:25 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JustinL
I have an E46 M3
That's fine for you as you already had all the white frame sunglasses and Ed Hardy shirts required for an M3 driver. I just wasn't willing to pay that hidden cost for owning the ultimate driving machine.
Old 12-19-2011 | 10:08 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

The only three cars I would give me car up for that I could justify buying would be;
1. NSX, I swear this car will some day be worth a lot of money. Very exclusive wonderfully built and an all around great car.
2. 996 GT3, What an awesome machine. Great handling, sound, and so refined for what it is.
3. e46 M3, to common, but man is it pretty.
Old 12-19-2011 | 11:03 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Chrenan, white frame sunglasses and Ed Hardy T-shirts - classic, this is mostly for the V8 M3s though I think. I don't think a 993 is going to be more reliable than your 951 which sounds as if it is well maintained but I could be wrong. 996 GT3 is an awesome car but above the price listed above - I think for the type of driving you are suggesting a 996 turbo would be better than the GT3 and probably cheaper than a nice 993. They also have very solid GT1 based engines - if money is an issue why not a 996 C2 over the 993 - I bet the running costs are lower in the long-term once the IMS issue is dealt with - they are less hobby car and more GT cruiser.

Whalebird - I love 911s and owned a very nice '74 targa that I should still have, it was nowhere near as comfortable, fast, or composed as my 951. It was, however, more fun to drive on the street. It would have taken a lot of money to get my 911 (I'll grant it was a targa) to be as fast at the track as my 951 was stock, 964 and 993 are a different story from '89 and earlier NA cars. It is a Porsche forum, it is OK to be a fan of the 951 and air-cooled 911s both great cars and unique in their own way, but the 944 is less of classic, so it appeals to us contrarian types - that is probably why TexasRider doesn't want a "plain old" 996 C2, too conformist for a 951 owner.

Quick Reply: What Other Cars Suit Us After a 951,944, 968