Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Noise.....Or Is It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 AM
hahaha251251
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Noise.....Or Is It?

So i have an 84 na 944 that has a clicking sound coming from the drivers side rear wheel area that only happens when im turning left and the wheel is under load. i did some (a lot) of surfing on here and consistently came up with a cv assembly as the cause. so i pulled out the caked grease, replaced the cv and entire axle, torqued everything to specs, and the noise went away. its been about a month and its back, same side. it doesnt sound like a wheel bearing as there is no whine and its only under load, is there anything else that will cause this?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:09 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does sound like a CV... But to clarify you said you replaced the entire axle and both CVs?

Was it a Re-man Part, Aftermarket, or OEM part?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hahaha251251
So i have an 84 na 944 that has a clicking sound coming from the drivers side rear wheel area that only happens when im turning left and the wheel is under load.
The driver's side rear wheel would be unloaded when turning left

It's possible that the CV is bad, when you greased it, it got better but it was not fixed. How are your transmission mounts, loose? If the trans is moving side to side it can kill a CV quickly.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:23 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue before I put the car away for the winter. Loud banging from the rear axles during acceleration and cornering.

I pulled both axls shafts off and I am going to replace them with re manufactured shafts (NAPA). While I was pulling the shafts off, I did notice some leaking from the transmission right at the output shafts. There are a few threads on here that discuss replacing the transmission seals.

However, I did noticed some play in the output shafts (maybe up to .125" back and forth). I am thinking that the differential carrier bearings that hold the output shafts may be wearing down (think tapered roller bearing). With the car up for the winter, I'm planning to drop the transmission and replace these bearings.

My though is that the play in the output shafts is causing additional damage to the axle shafts, eating the transmission seals and might be causing some of the noise (slop in the bearings). I speculate that simply replacing the shafts will only cover up the problem temporarily.

Can anyone provide guidance for doing the diff carrier bearings. I do have some instruction from the shop manual.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
andys-944
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you replace the bolts with new? First thing to do is check the bolt torque again they may have loosened.
I had a similar thing happen 1000 miles after having both sides replaced with new I heard a clicking and before I got around to returning to the shop the outside bolts sheared and I lost drive, only time its needed towing.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:47 PM
hahaha251251
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry this took so long to repost as my computer was out of commission for a good while. fried logic board among other things due to a power surge. almost blew my external monitor/tv as well.

the clicking has remained the same, hasn't gotten better or worse, and i have taken multiple things off to try and diagnose the problem. i replaced the cv's and axles with aftermarket parts (and yes i replaced both of them), but they seem quite sturdy and there is no leaking fluids or axle alignment issues. i did not use new bolts, but i checked the old ones for any signs of stretching before i torqued them back in, 32ft/lbs, and they all seemed quite fine. not a thread out of place.

i have recently noticed another symptom coming from the same area and that is a very nasty scraping sound when I drive over a hard bump (ie going down the I5 as it is horribly maintained) at a decent speed. i thought this may be a blown shock or spring, and maybe the wheel was bumping up into the wheel well, but the shock seems fine and theres nothing leaking from it. springs are good too. could it be the bushings? i forgot to look at that when i was poking around in there. as far as the bearings go, i yanked on all the parts to see if there was any lateral movement, but it all seems pretty tight. im at a loss as to the cause and dont really want to/have the money to change out all the stuff that it COULD be.

any help on this is greatly appreciated! hope this post is still active....

Quick Reply: CV Noise.....Or Is It?