Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 944 new clutch/flywheel, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Aeropooch
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

well- i feel stupid. they had a Porsche mechanic working on the car and he could not figure out why it would not turn over. The first problem they could come up with were that the BMW reference and speed sensors I purchased to replace the old ones were not giving a voltage. ohms were correct, but not voltage. So they purchase the Porsche sensors and it still would not start. Later that day they got it to start, but only if you feather the throttle while turning it over. And it seems to start up faster depending on the climate. Warmer starts faster and drives great, colder it sometimes won't start.
So I ended up paying for a part that I already bought, and paid them for labor...16hrs to be exact. Luckily he only charged me for 8hrs.
I ordered the DME temp sensor and hopefully that solves the starting issue. I also suspect a fuel problem. When I'm driving the car it will loose power, then cut back on, but only once or twice while driving to work. And when I removed the exhaust to do the clutch job, I noticed that the exhaust ports on the head were white (lean), while the other two were dark (rich).
Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd wait till the car is cold and then start it up and run it for a minute or two. Shut it down and feel the exhaust pipes at the head. They should all be hot. If you find that one or more is cold, you've got a problem with that particular cylinder. I replaced all my injectors, intake manifold gaskets, fuel filter,belts, front end seals and a whole lot of other stuff. When I started the car it ran like crap. I suspected the AFM since it ran that way when I forgot to plug it in once. But in this case it turned out to be a injector electrical connector was faulty. The cold exhaust pipe on #1 cylinder led me right to it. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:46 AM
homerj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you update on the outcome. i just had a no start issue that i think i resolved. funny thing is the car has been sitting for probably 2 months and i finally went to drive it and the clutch wont engage now
Old 12-30-2011, 04:48 PM
dontnow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeropooch
well- i feel stupid. they had a Porsche mechanic working on the car and he could not figure out why it would not turn over. The first problem they could come up with were that the BMW reference and speed sensors I purchased to replace the old ones were not giving a voltage. ohms were correct, but not voltage. So they purchase the Porsche sensors and it still would not start. Later that day they got it to start, but only if you feather the throttle while turning it over. And it seems to start up faster depending on the climate. Warmer starts faster and drives great, colder it sometimes won't start.
So I ended up paying for a part that I already bought, and paid them for labor...16hrs to be exact. Luckily he only charged me for 8hrs.
I ordered the DME temp sensor and hopefully that solves the starting issue. I also suspect a fuel problem. When I'm driving the car it will loose power, then cut back on, but only once or twice while driving to work. And when I removed the exhaust to do the clutch job, I noticed that the exhaust ports on the head were white (lean), while the other two were dark (rich).
So, let me get this straight; they replaced your new speed & reference sensors and it still didn't start, but they left them installed. Charged you 8 or 16 hrs labor and the engine still does not start when cool, and you decided to replace the temp sensor? Sorry but to charge someone even 8 hrs and not correct the problem is not acceptable at my shop. You have got to try to get with Spencer if you still have trouble.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Aeropooch
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate when people don't follow up on their car problems.
Well, here I am years later and with the same problem.
I do need to have someone who really know's 944's to take a look at it.
I have been driving the car and it has been starting fine during every season except winter. I'm having to use starting fluid to get it going when it's cold out here in California. I ended up purchasing an E46 M3 a couple of years ago so haven't been working on the 944 much. But i've been driving it more often just to save on milage for the M3.

The only work I've done really to the engine since my issue was replace the injectors and spark plugs and install a psi gauge at the fuel rail.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Well maybe the DME temp sensor then? And I suggest not keeping that gauge on the fuel rail, too much potential for fire and you cannot read it under load where it matters.

Quick Reply: 86 944 new clutch/flywheel, won't start