Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions About FIberglass and Carbon Fiber Body Panels

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:02 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Questions About FIberglass and Carbon Fiber Body Panels

My track build has CF hood and FG fenders that bolt on. I notice there are other panels available such as roof, rear fenders, door skins, rear valance (behind lights). As these other panels are all welded on how do attach the FG or CF panels to the body?

I figure drilling out the spot welds and riveting but are there other options such as bonding?

Also, do these welded panels provide any strength to the body or are they not part of the unibody construction?

Interested in how you guys are fitting these for a clean look.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:12 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAGK944
My track build has CF hood and FG fenders that bolt on. I notice there are other panels available such as roof, rear fenders, door skins, rear valance (behind lights). As these other panels are all welded on how do attach the FG or CF panels to the body?

I figure drilling out the spot welds and riveting but are there other options such as bonding?

Also, do these welded panels provide any strength to the body or are they not part of the unibody construction?

Interested in how you guys are fitting these for a clean look.
All those panels (minus door skins)are part of the unibody structure. Some elements of them could be removed without weakening the structure. All the rear panels would be used in conjunction with a roll cage that would give the car the rigidity it needs. The installation after that could be as simple as some screws/bolts or possibly glue/bonding.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:41 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

I have a full cage in there and it's really just the rear fender panels I need to change to +2in over same as the fronts. Basically need room for my early offset wheels to fit on my late suspension.

Thinking about it I could always fit the Broadfoot rear fender extensions.

Quick Reply: Questions About FIberglass and Carbon Fiber Body Panels