Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with 951 dieng after start

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011 | 03:45 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Default Issue with 951 dieng after start

Hi,

I had another thread open, but at a suggestion of another member Im making a new thread titled more appropriately.

I bought a race prepped 951 a couple weeks ago, and just finished replacing the timing belt (I want to change the belt and all fluids, and inspect the car before I track it).

The timing belt change went great. But now she wont stay started. I cant for the life of me think of what I could have done/not done to cause this.

the car starts really easily, idles great for ~2 seconds, then dies. Its always the same length of time. I'm looking for suggestions as what would cause this.

The car is somewhat modified. it has the balance shafts removed, has a lindsay racing maf. Inside I have a box labeled MAFTuner, manual boost control, separate boost guage, and a uego 1000 o2 monitor.

When I received the car, she ran fine, I just wanted to change the timing belt before I did anything.

Things Im thinking might be causing the issue:
- There is one small plastic what appears to be a vacuum hose not connected, but I dont think it was connected when I took the car apart, but I did not notice it. In my other thread (about this hose), it was suggested that being disconnected would not cause this exact issue.
- Could the maf not be connected/communicating with the dmu?
- I dont see any lights on the maftuner, nor on the uego (I know when I took the car off the trailer the uego was working). could it simply be a fuse that is keeping these helpers from working?
- I dont have a lot of fuel in the tank (added 1/2 gal), and I did pull the fuse to the fuel pump before setting TDC as per clarks garage. but since she fires up real easy, I dont think its a fuel issue.
- lastly, she has an ignition cut off (button inside the car, and on the hood), I would think if that was messing up I would be like the battery being disconnected. is it possible that it kills the DME somehow instead, and thats on?

any ideas would be greatly appreciated. im running out of them.

Thanks
dj
Old 11-07-2011 | 03:51 PM
carlege
Drifting

Sounds like MAF isnt connected or communicating.
Old 11-07-2011 | 10:08 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

We have a winner. Replaced a fuse and double checked the maf sensor and she starts and runs great!
Old 11-07-2011 | 10:17 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Quick Reply: Issue with 951 dieng after start